Question on Wireless Tether

krazykid6911

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing a droid x2 tomorrow. Does wireless tether work? All i need is wireless tether and i can research the rest. Currently have Droid 1 with root custom rom etc but from a quick search the x2 looks like its more of a task. making sure i can use wireless tether and im gonna buy it.

Thanks Everyone!

billmcg

Reaction score
Yes, it works

2.3.3 or 2.2.2

Rooted with the Wifi tether app - but with no Access Control working with the current kernel -

can't speak for how the non-rooted apps work, never tried them.

if you look around you will find codes you can also input into the dialer to "unlock" the stock wifi hotspot - again never tried

the rooted Wifi tether app works just fine for my needs

OP
K

krazykid6911

Reaction score
Yes, it works

2.3.3 or 2.2.2

Rooted with the Wifi tether app - but with no Access Control working with the current kernel -

can't speak for how the non-rooted apps work, never tried them.

if you look around you will find codes you can also input into the dialer to "unlock" the stock wifi hotspot - again never tried

the rooted Wifi tether app works just fine for my needs

Perfect, i use wifi tether now and just use a wep key for encyption on my d1.

I just need it for when im on the road, not huge usage, but a dealbreaker it would be if it couldnt work or was a hard setup verse that im used to.

can u share with me how u rooted and where u got wifi tether from? buying this phone tomorrow now.

im used to rooting with an update.zip on root of sd and just installing wifi tether, any specific version needed?

infinity8x3

Reaction score
root = gingerbreak
[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers
It's as simple as installing the app opening it and clicking a button.

custom recovery = Droid X2 Recovery
Droid X2 System Recovery + Instruction - xda-developers
All most as easy as gingerbreak just follow on screen instructions in app after installing.

rom = P3Droid prerooted gingerbread 2.3.3
Official Gingerbread for the Droid X2 - 2.3.3/4.5.1A-DTN-117-15 (Rooted)
Flash this rom once you achieve custom recovery.

Then you are done my friend.

sbf in case you screw up and instructions on how to do every thing
[HOW-TO] SBF back to stock Froyo, Update to P3Droids Pre-Rooted GB Update - xda-developers

Attachments

• DSC01924.JPG
    DSC01924.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 296
OP
K

krazykid6911

Reaction score
for now can i just root and go get wifi tether or is the rom required?

Really appeciate the info, Gonna go take advantage of the buy 1 get one.

Thanks!

infinity8x3

Reaction score
Well no the rom is not required for wifi tether to work for the time being. But you might as well spend the extra 10 mins and do it right :)

And AFAIK it's the only way to update the x2 to gingerbread and keep root.

If you have flashed a D1 you will be right at home here.

billmcg

Reaction score
What infinity8x3 said, as far as the instructions go.

i won't make a case against barnacle, i just know i did try to use it on my OG Droid a few years ago, and it didn't work to my satisfaction. it was slower than the WiFi tether app, and i had connection issues with it as well, since then i have only used the WiFi apps, they have always performed nearly perfect.

The Google developed WiFi tether app has worked flawlessly for me, except when i was playing around with experimental versions, or with different custom kernels.
Plus it is really fast, i get consistent downloads at like 1400 to 1800 bps on 3g out in the boonies. I never came close to that from any other app, with consistent stability.

again not dissing barnacle, just my experience. that was some time ago, and on a different phone too.

i am using the newest version 3.1beta2 on the DX2 i think it works great, is fast, connects fast, encryption works quickly
- i have also used 2.0.8pre1Experimental - was flaky on 2.2.2 - works great on 2.3.3 - and 2.0.7 - worked great on both 2.2.2 and 2.3.3

they can be found here - Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

just curious infinity8x3 - what kinds of speeds are you getting with barnacle? maybe i need to give it a try again?

OP
K

krazykid6911

Reaction score
sweet thanks. I def will do it right, but want to give the phone a chance the way it is Out of the box(doubt that will last long lol). i was looking at the droid 3 but i cant take the risk of waiting and with the locked bootloader id rather do it the way i am familliar. havent been around for a while since i got my d1 runnin good. Ready to enjoy the dual core 4.3 :)

OP
K

krazykid6911

Reaction score
What infinity8x3 said, as far as the instructions go.

i won't make a case against barnacle, i just know i did try to use it on my OG Droid a few years ago, and it didn't work to my satisfaction. it was slower than the WiFi tether app, and i had connection issues with it as well, since then i have only used the WiFi apps, they have always performed nearly perfect.

The Google developed WiFi tether app has worked flawlessly for me, except when i was playing around with experimental versions, or with different custom kernels.
Plus it is really fast, i get consistent downloads at like 1400 to 1800 bps on 3g out in the boonies. I never came close to that from any other app, with consistent stability.

again not dissing barnacle, just my experience. that was some time ago, and on a different phone too.

i am using the newest version 3.1beta2 on the DX2 i think it works great, is fast, connects fast, encryption works quickly
- i have also used 2.0.8pre1Experimental - was flaky on 2.2.2 - works great on 2.3.3 - and 2.0.7 - worked great on both 2.2.2 and 2.3.3

they can be found here - Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

just curious infinity8x3 - what kinds of speeds are you getting with barnacle? maybe i need to give it a try again?

agree 100%. thats why im pumped x2 is ready to rock it!

infinity8x3

Reaction score
krazykid6911... The rom is not a custom rom technically. It is a stock rom just pre rooted. The only difference in p3droids leak is it is rooted. Other than that it is the exact stock rom.

I choose barnacle because I tried wifi tether first but it said that the kernel was not 100% compatible and that i could only broadcast open unsecured wifi. And we have no access to the stock kernel so there was no fix. Barnacle would let me encrypt the data.

SO your saying there are "builds" of wifi tether that work 100% on the dx2?

billmcg

Reaction score
SO your saying there are "builds" of wifi tether that work 100% on the dx2?

They work 100% in the respect that the kernels do not support Access Control, that does not work - Encryption does work - Change SSID works

it is fast and reliable, like i said i am on the newest version 3.1beta2 on the DX2 - with P3Droids Rooted Gingerbread, i have been using it all day since the update with not a single problem.

On the Froyo build 2.2.2 WiFi tether also worked just as flawlessly, with encryption (just no Access Controll) but it wasn't truly stable for me, except on an earlier WiFi Tether build 2.0.7 - but the differences in the builds were mostly cosmetic to my needs.

billmcg

Reaction score
Just to elaborate a little...

Sure Access Control is another method of security, but it is also a bit redundant.

If you set up a strong encrypted password, the necessity for Access Control is somewhat negated. The user has to know or crack the passphrase before Access Control has the ability to block them.
Access Control still shows you who is connected to the hot spot in the notification area, it just doesn't have the ability to block them out.

i guess if i lived in a congested area where people hacking into WiFi could be an issue, Access Control would look like a feature that i might want to have.

but i don't, and speed and reliability/stability are more important. The few times i am spending time in congested public areas, i make sure that i use a complicated strong pass-phrase, when i am home i shut it off entirely, i leave it wide open, it's just easier for me, i don't have neighbors anywhere close enough to pick up a signal.

Wongway

Reaction score
I remember reading that the Droid X with gingerbread update and the Droid 2 needed an NVRAM hack to enable tethering...

Do we need this as well on the Droid X2 with rooted gingerbread? (Obviously meaning we applied P3's pre-rooted gingerbread)