Question on synching with Outlook

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
It is easy to sync a non-exchange Outlook's calendar to the Droid. Just install Google Calendar Sync on your PC, and use it to keep Google Calendars sync'd with your Outlook (select the both directions option). You can set how often to have it do this, and it might take a while the first time. Then be sure your phone is set to sync with Google calendar.

This is how I am doing it and it is better than USB sync in Windows Mobile IMO.
If I add an appointment during the day to my calender it is already on my laptop in both Google canender and Outlook when I get home.
I am a small business sole proprietor and only employee.

The only thing I miss right now is the voice announcement of appointments through Bluetooth from the phone but that is minor and I'm sure it will come sooner or later either from Google or a third party app.

Reaction score
The Touchdown e-mail client ROCKS! Frig, why Motorola didn't pre-load this as their default mail client is unknown. This does more than I ever expected and the interface is slick.

It is up to $19.99 -- buy it before it goes up, it is worth it
. :motdroidhoriz: :rating10:

victoria2657

Reaction score
I can't seem to do it...

I tried the Google Calendar Sync. For some reason, it will not work with Windows 7. Anyone have any ideas??

greendroid

Reaction score
thanks for all the info

but...why simply cant i manually connect with usb and sync.

how do you all feel about personnal info on the "net"

i keep social numbers of family, passwords and other info i would like not to be "out there".

am i paranoid? :icon_eek:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
am i paranoid? :icon_eek:

Not paranoid at all. I'm military, so I know my social is everywhere, but I still refuse to send it to anyone over an open channel.

I'll give someone the keys to my car, but I wont leave the keys in the ignition for that person.

claustin

Reaction score
First off, i'm going to say that I have no idea on the inner-workings of Outlook/Exchange servers, however everybody keeps talking about third party apps and whatnot and i don't get why. My Droid, like my iPhone, seems far superior to blackberry with built-in syncing of Outlook email. I could never get my Storm to sync because my (small) company didn't have BES. The best i could get was crappy OWA syncing that only did my inbox. No calendars, no subfolders. My iPhone and Droid both worked with it out of the box. I just set it up with my email address, username, password, and exchange server address, and BAM! Instant contact, email (including subfolders), and calendar sync. Perhaps you guys are talking about much more sophisticated systems, but for me it's been easy as pie (pre-made pie from a box even).

MinConst

Reaction score
It is easy to sync a non-exchange Outlook's calendar to the Droid. Just install Google Calendar Sync on your PC, and use it to keep Google Calendars sync'd with your Outlook (select the both directions option). You can set how often to have it do this, and it might take a while the first time. Then be sure your phone is set to sync with Google calendar.

Yes but this doesn't sync contacts and tasks.
I have been testing out Companion sync for the 14 day trail and it is working perfectly. Too bad it doesn't do mail. I will try the USB version next to make the decision which one to buy.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Google Calendar syncs my appointments effortlessly, but I am not syncing contacts. I thought I would abandon Outlook contacts altogether and go all Google, but the contacts that I enter on the Droid do not sync with Gmail contacts on line. How can something so simple be so difficult?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is an old thread but:

Unfortunately, some of the store employees don't really understand the difference between Exchange and Outlook.
Most people (including geeks) don't understand the difference, as demonstrated by this very thread.

Outlook != Exchange. Outlook is not always used with Exchange. Oulook is an email client and it supports many different mail servers (Exchange, POP, IMAP, etc). Exchange is a mail server. Outlook sync != Exchange sync and vice versa.

That means that Exchange solutions such as Touchdown are irrelevant to the OP, who is asking about syncing with Outlook (the client). There is no Exchange server for him to sync with.

Small businesses certainly can use Exchange if they choose to run their own server or if they decide to go with Exchange hosting. The assumption that corporate email means Exchange and small business excludes Exchange is also flawed reasoning. It really just depends on the specific setup involved.

I, for example have an Exchange account as my personal email account. Don't assume and read what the OP posts. ;)

Last edited:

prowler85

Reaction score

Unfortunately, some of the store employees don't really understand the difference between Exchange and Outlook.
Most people (including geeks) don't understand the difference, as demonstrated by this very thread.

Outlook != Exchange. Outlook is not always used with Exchange. Oulook is an email client and it supports many different mail servers (Exchange, POP, IMAP, etc). Exchange is a mail server. Outlook sync != Exchange sync and vice versa.

That means that Exchange solutions such as Touchdown are irrelevant to the OP, who is asking about syncing with Outlook (the client). There is no Exchange server for him to sync with.

Small businesses certainly can use Exchange if they choose to run their own server or if they decide to go with Exchange hosting. The assumption that corporate email means Exchange and small business excludes Exchange is also flawed reasoning. It really just depends on the specific setup involved.

I, for example have an Exchange account as my personal email account. Don't assume and read what the OP posts. ;)

Takeshi, you nailed it on the head. This thread was confusing the he## out of me and you nailed why.

No one has clearly defined a good way to do this yet that I have read. I have Outlook on home PC (NO EXCHANGE SERVER!!!), and get emails on my droid. I delete the trash and keep the rest. But since I'm not deleting them off the server, it downloads them again, so my inbox is filled with stuff I've deleted and is a mess. If I download them from the server, then the ones I want to keep will only be on my phone and not my home PC. I am not at all concerned with contacts or calendar since this is for personal use, but keeping my email straight would be huge. Does anyone have a solution for this?

MinConst

Reaction score
Pick up you email from your desktop and set it to delete them from there.

slinky

Reaction score

Takeshi, you nailed it on the head. This thread was confusing the he## out of me and you nailed why.

No one has clearly defined a good way to do this yet that I have read. I have Outlook on home PC (NO EXCHANGE SERVER!!!), and get emails on my droid. I delete the trash and keep the rest. But since I'm not deleting them off the server, it downloads them again, so my inbox is filled with stuff I've deleted and is a mess. If I download them from the server, then the ones I want to keep will only be on my phone and not my home PC. I am not at all concerned with contacts or calendar since this is for personal use, but keeping my email straight would be huge. Does anyone have a solution for this?
There is no good solution for this except to change Outlook at home to use IMAP instead of POP and use IMAP on the Droid.

With regard to contacts and calendar, which most would consider critical, there is no easy way to just sync them both. The CompanionLink people are really nice and some people claim to have it working but Contacts refused to sync and backup properly without duplicates or error messages using mybackup pro due to formatting of contacts issues.

IMHO, trying to sync the Moto Droid to Outlook is an impossible task at this stage. You're better off trying to install iPhone apps in it.

pwrrhino

Reaction score
I have a Charter email account. Will Touchdown App work with this or only a company email system?