Droid not synching email -- Blackberry issue?

Spot22

Reaction score
Folks,
First time poster here, greatly in need of help. I also posted in the Newbie section -- I think I was supposed to go there first, but thought people here might be more likely to be able to help.
Pardon in advance for how long this is.
After a couple of months of people with Iphones telling me not to get a Droid, I made the plunge 11 days ago. Love the phone. Except for one thing, which I hope folks may have suggestions on.
I had held off till three people at work showed me their Droids who were indeed able to easily synch corporate Outlook Exchange contacts, calendar, and email.
I tried to synch my corporate Outlook Exchange, and can get contacts and calendar to synch, but when it starts to go to email, I get a message can't connect to server. Have removed account, removed battery, re-added account, about 10 times, with no luck. At other times I get other error messages when I try to refresh, etc. (Came through once after several days for 24 hours, was wonderful, then vanished, never to return again despite many tries.)
By the way, none of those three people at my company, nor I, bought the $45 package, and no one of the many Verizon people I have spoken to mentioned it.
I also have a work-supplied Blackberry on the outlook exchange account. The other three work colleagues do not. I thought that might be it, so tried putting my email account onto the one colleague's phone. No go.
Talked with Verizon support, then Motoroloa support, then for an hour with a very nice and knowledgable Motorola level II support. She had no ideas and was surprised. She sent the IT Department necessary server settings, which our IT checked, and they all looked all fine.
Our IT people called our Blackberry folks, and they did not know if there were any interference issues with the Blackberry server and a Droid.
The Motorola level II support rep though that if the company servers were set appropriately (which they are), it is likely either a problem with the phone, or a problem with the Blackberry.
Any ideas or experience? I couldn't find anything on the forum, though maybe I missed something.
I may need to return the phone and get an Htc. Or, I wonder if Verizon would let me return this Droid and try another?
I only have two days to decide on the phone return or not, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sorry this so long. Thanks much,
Scott

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Folks,
First time poster here, greatly in need of help. I also posted in the Newbie section -- I think I was supposed to go there first, but thought people here might be more likely to be able to help.
After a couple of months of people with Iphones telling me not to get a Droid, I made the plunge 11 days ago. Love the phone. Except for one thing, which I hope folks may have suggestions on.
I had held off till three people at work showed me their Droids who were indeed able to easily synch corporate Outlook Exchange contacts, calendar, and email.
I tried to synch my corporate Outlook Exchange, and can get contacts and calendar to synch, but when it starts to go to email, I get a message can't connect to server. Have removed account, removed battery, re-added account, about 10 times, with no luck. At other times I get other error messages when I try to refresh, etc. (Came through once after several days for 24 hours, was wonderful, then vanished, never to return again despite many tries.)
By the way, none of those three people at my company, nor I, bought the $45 package, and no one of the many Verizon people I have spoken to mentioned it.
I also have a work-supplied Blackberry on the outlook exchange account. The other three work colleagues do not. I thought that might be it, so tried putting my email account onto the one colleague's phone. No go.
Talked with Verizon support, then Motoroloa support, then for an hour with a very nice and knowledgable Motorola level II support. She had no ideas and was surprised. She sent the IT Department necessary server settings, which our IT checked, and they all looked all fine.
Our IT people called our Blackberry folks, and they did not know if there were any interference issues with the Blackberry server and a Droid.
The Motorola level II support rep though that if the company servers were set appropriately (which they are), it is likely either a problem with the phone, or a problem with the Blackberry.
Any ideas or experience? I couldn't find anything on the forum, though maybe I missed something.
I may need to return the phone and get an Htc. Or, I wonder if Verizon would let me return this Droid and try another?
I only have two days to decide on the phone return or not, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Scott

Hey Scott, :welcome: to the forum. I don't think it's your phone.

Do you have the problem email address forwarded to gmail? If not that's the problem. You do that on line in your gmail settings. In all your writing you don't say anything about how you have it set up.

OP
S

Spot22

Reaction score
Hook,
Thank you for the reply.
I don't think I have it forwarded to my gmail. Don't see how to do that. Glad to, though I thought I could just do a separate account.
Thanks.
Scott

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
FYI - you can omit the "Outlook" in your posts or else you'll get some irrelevant responses. You're really looking to sync with your Exchange server. Outlook is the client on your PC and isn't relevant in this case.

The BES isn't the problem. The issue may be the access method(s) available on your Exchange server. Can you verify if ActiveSync is available to you? With organizations that use BES, ActiveSync may be disabled. Even without ActiveSync you may still be able to sync but you'll have to confirm what options there are from your IT department. Each Exchange server can be set up differently so there are unfortunately no one-size-fits-all answers.

OP
S

Spot22

Reaction score
Takeshi,
Thanks for the note. Haven't gotten definitive answer from out IT Department re active synch, though our BB rep says that is not it. A guy on the BES server here gets synching fine with his Htc.

Hook,
Not sure I understand re forwarding to Gmail.

Thanks all.
Scott

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In your gmail on line in the settings there is a tab called accounts and import. It's in here that you should be able to have your mail forwarded to gmail. Look at the "Check Mail Using Pop3." There is a help link provided there, I'll provide for you below:

Get mail from other accounts - Gmail Help

Hope that helps.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I would suggest trying Touchdown. There is a 5 day trial. It could be your servers security settings which Touchdown should handle.

Just found out TD now has a 30 day trial.

Last edited:

diverbelow

Reaction score
Folks,
Scott

So the other co-workers/friends that have Droids sync up just fine with Exchange? If so, have you compared settings, but which OS are you running 2.0.0 or 2.0.1? To find out which OS press the menu -> settings -> about phone and scroll down. Also check on the other Droids as well.

Or it could be that the BB is just jealous that you got a Droid and tricking the exchange server in to not giving you access... j/k

OP
S

Spot22

Reaction score
Thank you all.

Hook, That sounds promising. Was not able to connect, will check with our IT.

Robert, Touchdown didn't do it.

JK - Thanks for directions. I am on 2.0.1. I bet they are on 2.0. Will check.//I am still suspicious of BES.

I really like the phone. I'm gonna get there. After two hours on the phone with Verizon Monday, they said I had 30 not 14 days, and they let me get a new phone if this doesn't work. (Though I doubt that's it.)

Thanks for your continued help. Great Board.

Scott

diverbelow

Reaction score
Thank you all.

Hook, That sounds promising. Was not able to connect, will check with our IT.

Robert, Touchdown didn't do it.

JK - Thanks for directions. I am on 2.0.1. I bet they are on 2.0. Will check.//I am still suspicious of BES.

I really like the phone. I'm gonna get there. After two hours on the phone with Verizon Monday, they said I had 30 not 14 days, and they let me get a new phone if this doesn't work. (Though I doubt that's it.)

Thanks for your continued help. Great Board.

Scott

You have 30 days to try out any phone out.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Maybe try a factory reset on your phone just to make sure some other installed app is not hosing things up. This is a strange issue, seeing as you get calendar and contacts. Sorry I can't be of more help. One other thought: Try setting up a new exchange mailbox and see if you can sync to that. Maybe there is some incorrect setting on the exchange server pertaining only to your mailbox.