Question on synching with Outlook

csouleles

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the Droid but need to know if it will work well for my business needs. I currently have the Blackberry Storm 2 and don't like it for the keyboard but obviously the synch to Outlook and email push are perfect.

I am not very computer literate and need to know the truth about how difficult it is to synch Outlook with the Droid. I am planning to have Verizon help me set it up initially but need to know if it synchs just as easy as my Blackberry.

Also, I need to push my pop3 email and understand that it has to go through a gmail account.

My real questions are: How well does the email work and how easy is it to synch with Outlook on the Droid?
Thanks!

DroidDad

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the Droid but need to know if it will work well for my business needs. I currently have the Blackberry Storm 2 and don't like it for the keyboard but obviously the synch to Outlook and email push are perfect.

I am not very computer literate and need to know the truth about how difficult it is to synch Outlook with the Droid. I am planning to have Verizon help me set it up initially but need to know if it synchs just as easy as my Blackberry.

Also, I need to push my pop3 email and understand that it has to go through a gmail account.

My real questions are: How well does the email work and how easy is it to synch with Outlook on the Droid?
Thanks!
I have tried the trial version of Companionlink. It was good for importing my outlook contacts. But the calendar has been flukey. It has not completely transferred my calendar events from outlook and yet some events get multiple listing - every time it syncs it adds another instance of that event. Still looking for a good solution

Tekmazter

Reaction score
Your IT still will appreciate the homework your doing, but still speak with them before proceeding. Here's why ...

Exchange ActiveSync does work on the Droid (I'm personally using it). However, there are some caveats that you need to know about before attempting to make this work.

First, does your company have security policies in place which require the use of encryption on the handheld devices which contain email? If so, Android doesn't support this and it will be a no-go from a policy standpoint.

From a technical policy standpoint (meaning actual settings on the Exchange server), if boxes are ticked forcing the use of encryption, you will need to purchase a 3rd party app such as Touchdown get around this. Touchdown fakes out the Exchange server into thinking you're running encryption while you're really not. The original IPhone did the same thing. Try to realize that this would most likely violate your policy if encryption is REQUIRED. There is a difference between what is required and what is simply being enforced. See if you can get clarification on that.

The built-in app for Exchange ActiveSync can be a little finicky in getting going. There's not a ton of information about the Exchange policies it supports and doesn't support at this time. It's a bit of hit or miss. Mine is working fine but I did have to disable 'Forms Based Authentication' on my Exchange servers to get it working.

One other note here ... Touchdown can also sync with Outlook Web Access. If OWA is available to use, Touchdown can get your mail for you that way too.

The only information you need to know to test all this out is the following:

Company policy on email on handheld devices.
Outlook Mobile or Web Access Server (name or IP Address)
Your username and password to login
Whether or not your company uses a Self Signed SSL Certificate or one from a Trusted Authority.

Last edited:
OP
C

csouleles

Reaction score
Your IT still will appreciate the homework your doing, but still speak with them before proceeding. Here's why ...

Exchange ActiveSync does work on the Droid (I'm personally using it). However, there are some caveats that you need to know about before attempting to make this work.

First, does your company have security policies in place which require the use of encryption on the handheld devices which contain email? If so, Android doesn't support this and it will be a no-go from a policy standpoint.

From a technical policy standpoint (meaning actual settings on the Exchange server), if boxes are ticked forcing the use of encryption, you will need to purchase a 3rd party app such as Touchdown get around this. Touchdown fakes out the Exchange server into thinking you're running encryption while you're really not. The original IPhone did the same thing. Try to realize that this would most likely violate your policy if encryption is REQUIRED. There is a difference between what is required and what is simply being enforced. See if you can get clarification on that.

The built-in app for Exchange ActiveSync can be a little finicky in getting going. There's not a ton of information about the Exchange policies it supports and doesn't support at this time. It's a bit of hit or miss. Mine is working fine but I did have to disable 'Forms Based Authentication' on my Exchange servers to get it working.

One other note here ... Touchdown can also sync with Outlook Web Access. If OWA is available to use, Touchdown can get your mail for you that way too.

The only information you need to know to test all this out is the following:

Company policy on email on handheld devices.
Outlook Mobile or Web Access Server (name or IP Address)
Your username and password to login
Whether or not your company uses a Self Signed SSL Certificate or one from a Trusted Authority.
Thanks for the info. I do not have a company to worry about as I am a sole proprietor and only have two emails, one is a personal one and the other is through the domain name of my company website.

I'm afraid I don't really understand a lot of what you said as I indicated I'm really a novice here and don't know what an exchange server is. Please bear with me as I'm learning as I go here.

tnlimey

Reaction score
Syncing with a normal pop3 eamil account is easy and painless, it works just as well as the Storm (for 'works well' read persitant).
I have two pop3 accounts, one being gmail plus an exchange server (corporate email).
All work as they should.

ygohome

Reaction score
getting your pop3 email is just pushing and pulling emails through the mail servers and doesn't require syncing with your laptop or outlook.

if you really want to sync with outlook (2 way sync where you merge contacts and calendar, notes, tasks, etc from the phone and the laptop/desktop) then I don't think you can do that. At least not without microsoft exchange. That is my understanding. Is the reason I keep my windows mobile phone around... I have to be able to sync my contacts and calendar on a regular daily basis with outlook

*edit: I hope I'm wrong about that... I want to be able to get free from windows mobile but the OUTLOOK ball and chain keeps me tied to windows mobile.

Last edited:

greendroid

Reaction score
unbelieveable..at my store this phone was in a business phone display. and was told it would sync to outlook. needless to say i didnt dig deeper to see if i couldnt simply usb and sync my contacts and calendar and it be correct and complete. this is a standard program for a majority of smart phone users.

i love the droid but PLEASE lets get an app soon!

scheu001

Reaction score
Sync with Exchange vs. Outlook

unbelieveable..at my store this phone was in a business phone display. and was told it would sync to outlook. needless to say i didnt dig deeper to see if i couldnt simply usb and sync my contacts and calendar and it be correct and complete. this is a standard program for a majority of smart phone users.

Unfortunately, some of the store employees don't really understand the difference between Exchange and Outlook. Most businesses use Outlook (not Outlook Express) to access their mailbox on an Exchange server.

Droid does sync wirelessly with Exchange Server right out of the box. To sync with your Outlook client (don't know about Outlook Express) check out TouchDown (made by NitroDesk) or CompanionLink.

GOYANKS

Reaction score
getting my home email synched

can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it. I followed it step by step but it keeps saying checking for server settings.

thx

55311AP

Reaction score
It is easy to sync a non-exchange Outlook's calendar to the Droid. Just install Google Calendar Sync on your PC, and use it to keep Google Calendars sync'd with your Outlook (select the both directions option). You can set how often to have it do this, and it might take a while the first time. Then be sure your phone is set to sync with Google calendar.

Leonid

Reaction score
MS Outlook - Droid App

IT at my company found an awesome app for MS Outlook. TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com) .

It syncs e-mail, calendar, contacts (I have over 5,000 contacts), task lists, etc. Effortlessly.

Cost - only $9.

:icon_ banana:

Caindris

Reaction score

So forgive my mis-understanding here but why would you want to sync to outlook when it has built in exchange syncing? Outlook is nothing more then a front-end program with Exchange being the back-end. Presuming you're using Exchange 2007 (I have no experience administrating any earlier Exchanges) all of your contacts, calendar, e-mail, etc. would be loaded onto the phone.

Granted I can't speak to experience as of yet until my Droid arrives on tuesday. Sorry for the minor thread necroing :)

pbz

Reaction score
I don't think csouleles necessarily could use Exchange, if he's sole proprietor of a very small business. But he does have a company domain, so maybe it's set up like that, with Exchange? So, maybe someone should mention Google Calendar Sync? It'll sync contacts and calendar, and you can import your other email addresses into it, and then automatically receive that mail on your Droid without any effort. I do think Droids take a bit more hands-on for configuring than getting a Windows Mobile phone, with all of its packaged apps. And I'm not happy that there's no easy, free, way to sync Outlook Notes with the Droid. gSyncIt will do Notes (and other stuff I didn't need due to the Google Sync setup) but it costs $$. Maybe $40. So I've been hoping to find a free alternative. I've tried the free trial (only 20 Notes max), and it works great. So I may use it. But the Outlook Calendar & Contacts work fine with Google Calendar Sync. Check out their help site:
Sync with Microsoft Outlook - Google Calendar Help
Good luck!

rogueman123

Reaction score
I am using microsoft exchange through my company email without any problems. Just make sure you get the correct ports for the email settings as well as the smtp address.

victoria2657

Reaction score
googlesync

I read up on this and tried googlesync. For some reason it isn't compatable with Windows 7. :mad: