Question for Devs: 1% Battery Increments in Status Bar?

busterbluth

Reaction score
Hi All,

I assume this is a question for the devs but if anyone else has credible insights, feel free to jump in... :)

I really love having the 10% battery increments in the status bar on Liberty ROM - so much more useful than just eyeballing how "full" the battery icon looks. But, since I am never satisfied, I would really LOVE to have 1% battery increments.

Now, I know that Motorola does not officially support 1% increment reporting in their phones and until recently, most widgets were also limited to 10% increments.

However, I have found a couple widgets in the last few months that are somehow able to accurately read 1% increments from the phone. These aren't "estimates" determined from average usage (like some older widgets attempted to do [poorly]) - they work from the moment the widgets are installed and after months of use, I can say they are always accurate in my experience.

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.devmil.minimaltext&feature=search_result

https://market.android.com/details?...oid.CircleBatteryWidget&feature=search_result

So, my question is: how hard would it be to use this same method to update the battery icon in the status bar? Is it even possible to do this? Or, is the status bar functionality somehow hard-coded to only update in 10% increments (so whatever method these widgets use can't be translated)? It seem like it should be doable but what do I know... :)

Anyone know more about this? I'm not aware of any other DX ROMs that can do this so it would be awesome if Liberty were the first.

Thanks!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I think you would be able to. It should be the same as with adding 10%. However, you would need 100 images and add it 100 times to the xml in the framework that controls that rather than just 10 time/10 images.

Sent from an Angelic D2G

OP
B

busterbluth

Reaction score
I think you would be able to. It should be the same as with adding 10%. However, you would need 100 images and add it 100 times to the xml in the framework that controls that rather than just 10 time/10 images.

Sent from an Angelic D2G

Sounds reasonable - unless this would translate to noticeably poorer performance or memory problems. I don't really know enough about how the OS works but that may be a good reason that no one does it this way. :)