Question About Using Multiple Browsers (Browser Persistence)

a_bug

Reaction score
General Question I hope gets answered one way or another;

I use multiple browsers for different purposes:

Stock Browser for News, and for Quick searches/Information (411 type of things)

Dolphin for reading, and serious web browsing

Steel for downloading video (it seems to be very good at it).

Every time I click on a link in any browser I have to again choose the browser I am currently using.

If I were to choose a 'default' browser, then no matter which browser I start with, the next link I click, will open using the 'default' browser.

Is there anyway to set it up such that when I choose a browser to use it will default to that browser during that session/instance? In other words, when I want to use Dolphin, it knows to just stay with Dolphin until I open another browser? Or am I doomed to constant clicking/choosing of browsers? or worse having to choose a single browser?

Thanks for any help/advice;

A (multi-browser) bug :)

Last edited:

xush

Reaction score
I just saw an app called "browser chooser pro." I haven't used it, but it says by using it as your default you set up filters that determine which sites are opened by which browser. Couldn't find a free version.

OP
A

a_bug

Reaction score
I just saw an app called "browser chooser pro." I haven't used it, but it says by using it as your default you set up filters that determine which sites are opened by which browser. Couldn't find a free version.
xush,

Cool, checking it out now on AppBrain. It does look to be website specific. Not sure how well that will work, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks for the find Xush!

A Bug :)

mr_silent

Reaction score
Simple solution: don't set default browser. It will still ask you to choose when you open a link from an app, but if you launch a browser from the drawer it'll stick to that browser throughout the session. In other words if you open a link from a page on dolphin it'll stay on dolphin. Another thing I do is longpress the link to open it in another tab. Hope this post helps...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
A

a_bug

Reaction score
Simple solution: don't set default browser. It will still ask you to choose when you open a link from an app, but if you launch a browser from the drawer it'll stick to that browser throughout the session. In other words if you open a link from a page on dolphin it'll stay on dolphin. Another thing I do is longpress the link to open it in another tab. Hope this post helps...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Mr. Silent,

Ahh so maybe I have another problem. B/C when I'm in any browser and click on a link I get the Chooser Window -- it doesn't stick to that browser throughout the session (Browser Persistence) like maybe it should. Or is there a difference if the browser is opened via the App Drawer or an application?

And yes the long press does work, but I guess I'm lazy and would like efficiency of taps (i.e. the fewer the better). One tap vs. one long press + Choice tap.

I guess it just may be par for the Android Course. . .

A Bug :)

xush

Reaction score
I always get the chooser window too, no matter how I do it. Any link will open the dialog, it doesn't automatically open the page in the present browser for me.

mr_silent

Reaction score
Sorry to let you guys hang for so long, just got back from lunch. I can't come up with a good solution as I'm running bb 6.2.2 and the default browser is having force close issues, I think xush's right, go with the browser chooser, personally i ve always used dolphin for everything cause of the speed, quality and add-ons. Some d/l links didn't work right at first but then I found the app "download buddy" and that fixed all my d/l issues.
You pointed out a pretty good issue though, maybe google will look at adding those features in their future releases. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

OP
A

a_bug

Reaction score
My God It works

Mr_silent;

I wouldn't have thought it would work, (part of me thought it was counter-intuitive). I gave it a try, and Lo and behold it worked just like it should. I stayed with the browser I started with and wasn't asked to choose again (for that browsing session).

Bravo Mr_Silent.

Thank you so much!!

A (very happy) Bug :)