Question about text notifications and personal ringtones?

Talon66721

Reaction score
Hello, I am rooted and updated and running darkslide. Before the update and darkslide, I had a soundboard sound for my ringer and it worked fine. Now if I set it, it turns the ringer to silent instead. Any ideas? Also, is there any way to get an audible text notification while you're on the phone? I've missed many texts until long after I've hung up because of this. I will be very disappointed if my old dumbphone could do that while my much more advanced dx cannot. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am rooted and updated and running darkslide. Before the update and darkslide, I had a soundboard sound for my ringer and it worked fine. Now if I set it, it turns the ringer to silent instead. Any ideas? Also, is there any way to get an audible text notification while you're on the phone? I've missed many texts until long after I've hung up because of this. I will be very disappointed if my old dumbphone could do that while my much more advanced dx cannot. Thanks in advance for any advice.

OK…It should be while in your text messages you click menu, settings, select messaging settings, text messaging, check notifications. If you want to pick a particular ringtone right underneath check notifications is ringtones.

Hope that helps.

-hook

OP
T

Talon66721

Reaction score
Thank you. I have all that set up. And it works fine unless I'm talking on the phone, then it makes no sound to notify me. That's what I'm trying to get it to do. Sometimes I talk to someone for awhile and I don't want my partner in texting to think I'm being rude and ignoring them. I'm wanting it to make noise even if I'm on the phone. My old junk cricket phone would. It would be disappointing if my x can't do what it could.

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
If you install and use the handcent app from the market, it allows for sound notifications while in a call. You just have to set it up from within the notifications menu.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
T

Talon66721

Reaction score
I tried that. Hadn't used handcent before, but I really like it so far, very customizable. It still wouldn't make any noise while I'm on the phone, however. I also set the led to a different color, color is right for the test, but then it goes back to blue when it's not a test. Not sure why. I don't know if it's because I'm rooted and rommed or what. I just don't understand why it should be so difficult to make this happen. I've been trying different settings on the handcent for the last couple of hours and none of it is getting it to do what I want. Thank you, by the way.

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
I had similar issues the first day our two with handcent as well. I'm not sure if a reboot out two helped or not but eventually it seemed to catch onto what I wanted. Maybe try backing up with titanium. I had similar issues with duplicate text notifications until it 'settled in'. Either way I hope you get it sorted out. Be persistent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
T

Talon66721

Reaction score
I've already done a battery pull or two and I did fast reboot a couple of times as well. I'll just be patient and give this a day or two to get settled in with the rest of the apps and see what happens. That's one of the great things about our phones, there's always plenty of options for us to change our focus on if we need to step away from one thing for a minute. I really appreciate the advice, EsOter1c, I'll try to remember to come back here in a couple of days and let you know what happens with it. Thank you, again.