Question about replacing glass screen.

IamLMNOP

Reaction score
First off, I'm new here. I like what I see. Everyone seems helpful to one another.

With that said. I cracked my glass. The LCD screen is fine. Just the outside glass. Now, with my insurance, I can get the phone replaced for $80. Or I can order the glass screen off ebay and do it myself.

My question is; is there any kind of seal I'll have to break when replacing it? Like maybe causing dust to get behind the screen? And if so, is there something else I need to buy reseal it?

Thanks in advance!

kos

Reaction score
IMO, save yourself the trouble and use the insurance. My screen cracked (badly) last year, and I didn't have insurance. At the time, the prices of new DINCs were so prohibitive I opted to just purchase a new screen, and try to replace it myself.

Well, the process itself wasn't that difficult (see here for a take apart guide, etc.: iPod Replacement Screens, iPhone LCD Repair, BlackBerry, Zune, PSP & HTC Replacement Screens and Batteries HOWEVER, I had the damnedest time trying to get a true 'factory' seal with the new glass. (You do have to break the old glass out of the plastic front frame piece before you can reinsert / adhere the new glass ... and the new one must be sealed with adhesive strips, etc.)

Dust crept in after a few days, and I soon found myself taking the phone apart again and again (every other week or so) to clean it out because the screen looked so horrendous. Incredibly (no pun intended), after all of that, my second screen eventually broke! So, I'm now on DINC #2 (bought on Ebay), and loving my properly-sealed screen.

At only $80 for insurance replacement, I'd definitely suggest you save yourself the trouble and forget about doing it yourself.

Good luck!