Question about RAZR and Memory...

GeneralZod

Reaction score
On the VZW site it says, "16GB Pre-Installed / 16GB internal". Is it safe to assume that I could use the same 32GB chip I have in my DX, and have nearly 48GB worth of memory for MP3s?

Thanks.

Deron

Reaction score
Not exactly, Almighty Zod. You see, Mister ....

"He's a general! "

I mean, Mr. General, sir. Here is the deal. Your Micro SD card in your Droid X will work in the Razr. I know this for a fact since I used my Razr to transfer my GFs music to a card and then stuck it in her Droid X.

For the built-in storage of the Razr, although it has 16 gb only a fraction is available for the user. 3 gb is partitioned for app storage. 8 gb is for general "Internal Memory/Storage" also called Media Storage. Apps that have the "move to SD card" feature actually get moved to the phone's internal Media Storage partition. You can also put music and pics in Media storage. The remaining internal storage is resrved for the operating system and MotoCast.

So, you can put up to 29 gb music on a 32 gb sd card (formatted ) and 8 gb music in media storage on the phone itself. Total of 37 gb music possible on your Razr.

Or course, Google Music is now free and allows you to upload 25,000 songs to their cloud. Then you can stream to the Google Music app on the Razr. I do not use this app because I prefer music on my card and it uses less battery power than streaming from the cloud. Also, Google Music kept rebooting the Droid X when my GF uses it. Not sure if it works on the Razr, though.

Also, search various forums for keywords Droid Razr 64 gb micro sd card. I do believe several users have gotten the Droid Razr to format and use a 64 gb micro sd card. A bit pricey at the moment, though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
GeneralZod

GeneralZod

Reaction score
Deron... thanks for all the detail. It is greatly appreciated.

ddfuji

Reaction score
Not exactly, Almighty Zod. You see, Mister ....

"He's a general! "

I mean, Mr. General, sir. Here is the deal. Your Micro SD card in your Droid X will work in the Razr. I know this for a fact since I used my Razr to transfer my GFs music to a card and then stuck it in her Droid X.

For the built-in storage of the Razr, although it has 16 gb only a fraction is available for the user. 3 gb is partitioned for app storage. 8 gb is for general "Internal Memory/Storage" also called Media Storage. Apps that have the "move to SD card" feature actually get moved to the phone's internal Media Storage partition. You can also put music and pics in Media storage. The remaining internal storage is resrved for the operating system and MotoCast.

So, you can put up to 29 gb music on a 32 gb sd card (formatted ) and 8 gb music in media storage on the phone itself. Total of 37 gb music possible on your Razr.

Or course, Google Music is now free and allows you to upload 25,000 songs to their cloud. Then you can stream to the Google Music app on the Razr. I do not use this app because I prefer music on my card and it uses less battery power than streaming from the cloud. Also, Google Music kept rebooting the Droid X when my GF uses it. Not sure if it works on the Razr, though.

Also, search various forums for keywords Droid Razr 64 gb micro sd card. I do believe several users have gotten the Droid Razr to format and use a 64 gb micro sd card. A bit pricey at the moment, though.

I use Google music and it is a beautiful thing. I only have 3200songs though. It works fine on the Droid razr. It freezes on me about every other week but that's not bad! When it was on the beta I used it on my Droid 2 and it was pretty crappy. But I use it more on my computers then I do in my cell phone. But after they released it for everyone it was polished up and running smooth

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Deron

Reaction score
I use Google music and it is a beautiful thing. I only have 3200songs though. It works fine on the Droid razr. It freezes on me about every other week but that's not bad!

Thanks. I may retry it some time. Have you bought any music from the Google Music service?

ddfuji

Reaction score
Thanks. I may retry it some time. Have you bought any music from the Google Music service?

No I haven't. They had some holiday deals and I looked at them but never purchased any music. But I pirate most of my music. My sister in law has though. She bought some of the Christmas music

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Zandar

Reaction score

I bought a couple of things on the Google music store. Fast, hassle free, and I could share the songs for free (everyone gets one, full listen) on Google+. I don't pirate music, so it's a great deal for me (stolen for free is always a better "deal", of course).

Sliced from my RAZR