question about ics installation

Asylem

Reaction score
I recently rooted my phone and was looking into getting the ics 232 update. I'm new to rooting and roms and my question its if I update to that leak will it reset my phone to an out-of-box type reset but with the update or will my phone be like it is now (apps installed, screens set up, etc) with the update installed? Thanks for any help.

Ziggie

Reaction score
Check out Samuri's downgrade to 902 with no app or data loss thread on this forum. You can get to 232 without losing anything.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Assuming you're currently on .905 installing .232 will be as if it came OTA. Like Ziggie said, it will be like your phone is now, apps and everything.

You may lose root, but you can get that back.

OP
Asylem

Asylem

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks for the help. Hopefully be running it by tonight :D

CBMGGM

Reaction score
Use OTA Voodoo and protect root. If you are stock 905 the HOB script is not necessary. Just download the ICS leak to the SD-Ext and apply update thru Android Recovery. Just make sure it's 232 or lower to stay on the OTA path.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just a small correction, and this is really a nitpicky point, but, really should be clarified. Installing 232 doesn't KEEP YOU on the OTA path, it allows you to easily get BACK to it. You still have to downgrade to 905 to take an OTA update. I realize that seems like a small point, but, to the uninitiated that's actually quite a huge point.

OP
Asylem

Asylem

Reaction score
I got the update to 232 installed and I'm am loving it! Wish i would have done it earlier. Also thanks for the clarification about the OTA, good to know.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked. When you downloaded the leak it said Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip. Motorola/Verizon assumes that you have 5.9.905 and when they ping your phone to send the OTA, your phone will send back the version that it currently has. If it isn't 5.9.905 they move on. That's why you'll need to go back to .905 if you want the OTA. .232 was the last update that you could do so.

If you had installed .235 or .238 you couldn't go back, but you can go forward via SamuriHL's House of Bionic. I guess you'll be using that to go back from .232.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not necessarily. There are plenty of FXZ scripts out there to FXZ back keeping user data. The House does make it relatively easy though. :)