Question about how GMail opens and acts...I'm confused.

A.C.Sanchez

Reaction score
Since day 1, when I get a gmail notification in my status bar, if I open the tray I see [email protected](2) - telling me I have 2 new messages (or more if I have more than 2). When I click on this notification, the GMail app would open to the newest message. I never understood why the notification wouldn't take you to the inbox when you select it, because you might want to see the older of the two new messages first.

2 days ago I updated (manually) to 2.0.1. I swear that the next time I had multiple messages ([email protected](2)) in my notifications, I selected the notification, and GMail opened to my inbox, not directly to the newest message. This was awesome!

Today, when I had a notification of multiple gmails in my inbox, clicking the notification again took me to the newest message.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Did I hallucinate the time that the notification opened to my inbox? Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to me that you should be taken to your inbox, not directly to the newest message. This annoys me greatly!

I just confirmed this again, I had 3 messages in my inbox, but the notification in the status drawer took me to the newest message.:icon_eek:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since day 1, when I get a gmail notification in my status bar, if I open the tray I see [email protected](2) - telling me I have 2 new messages (or more if I have more than 2). When I click on this notification, the GMail app would open to the newest message. I never understood why the notification wouldn't take you to the inbox when you select it, because you might want to see the older of the two new messages first.

2 days ago I updated (manually) to 2.0.1. I swear that the next time I had multiple messages ([email protected](2)) in my notifications, I selected the notification, and GMail opened to my inbox, not directly to the newest message. This was awesome!

Today, when I had a notification of multiple gmails in my inbox, clicking the notification again took me to the newest message.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Did I hallucinate the time that the notification opened to my inbox? Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to me that you should be taken to your inbox, not directly to the newest message. This annoys me greatly!

I just confirmed this again, I had 3 messages in my inbox, but the notification in the status drawer took me to the newest message.:icon_eek:

I can tell you you're not hallucinating, if that helps any.

I really am having trouble understanding how the phone handles the mail. Sometimes it opens in my email, other times it opens in gmail. Seems like when it opens in gmail if there is a link the link is incomplete but when it opens in my mail the link is always there.

I now look to see what kind of a notification is. If I suspect it's got a link in it I close the notification and go straight to my email.

It would be nice if it just opened in the email when you pressed the notification.

OP
A

A.C.Sanchez

Reaction score

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

I can tell you you're not hallucinating, if that helps any.

I really am having trouble understanding how the phone handles the mail. Sometimes it opens in my email, other times it opens in gmail. Seems like when it opens in gmail if there is a link the link is incomplete but when it opens in my mail the link is always there.

I now look to see what kind of a notification is. If I suspect it's got a link in it I close the notification and go straight to my email.

It would be nice if it just opened in the email when you pressed the notification.

Yeah, thanks for the reply. I don't know what to think. I know that my inbox opened on one of my tries, but now every time I have multiple gmails, it's just opening to the newest (by time stamp) message. Oh well, that one time was really fun :icon_ banana:. Maybe 2.0.2 will let me do it twice!