Question about connection type

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Ok well this might be a dumb question but here we go anyway. So lets say I'm in a building where I have virtually no 3G reception. However I have a clear wifi signal to the network in the building. Will i still be able to call/text using the wifi signal with no 3G? And if I have wifi on and have 3G connection and do a speedtest on both and get about say 5 mbps with wifi and 1 mbps with 3G, does this mean that I'll receive calls/texts sooner? Basically I'm trying to understand what connection the phone uses whether it can go through wifi or if it has to use 3G. I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to ask lol.

SRR1138

Reaction score
3g is just a data network. Wifi is just a data network. You can make calls when connected to either, but that is not where your call is being sent thru. You see the little bars up in the top bar, there are four of them, that is what tells you if you can make a phone call.

BiGJaYDROID

Reaction score
technically if you had voip service like skype or google voice or vonage you could make calls using your wifi connection or 3g connection and not have to rely on cell connection for voice...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
technically if you had voip service like skype or google voice or vonage you could make calls using your wifi connection or 3g connection and not have to rely on cell connection for voice...

Google Voice is not a VOIP service.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will i still be able to call/text using the wifi signal with no 3G?
Out-of-the-box? No. Calls and texts are only sent and received via the carrier (i.e not WiFi).

If you have a VOIP and text-via-data solution, yes.