Wifi an 3G Questions

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Ok so I have 2 questions about signal things.

1) Wifi- Ok for some reason my prior droid an my CLN Droid BOTH had trouble with wifi, I was under the impression that wifi was supposed to make my droid run faster on the internet an download things from market. I connect to it an man does my phones browser is SLOWWW like almost to a crawl compared to my 3G. I then tried market, to download some things an jeez after 3 minutes downloading Slacker Radio, my phone was only at about 38% I believe. So I was wondering is there something up with my droid? Or is it user error an I'm not doing something right. Any insight?

AN

2)Is there anyway to check your 3G signal strength?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a rooted Droid and a wifi router in my home. I'm able to connect to my router without any issues. Typically, wifi is faster than 3G. Your wifi signal can be viewed by taping menu, tap settings, tap wifi, tap wifi settings.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
My D1 runs very fast on WiFi. Tricorder app in the market does some fun geeky mostly useless stuff, but it will show you both cell signal and WiFi signal on the same screen.

Stopped at a StarBucks now. Cell signal shows the bar about 3/4 of the way across and at a 26. WiFi shows the bar about 2/3 of the way across at 25. If I remember I will post results from home which should be a better WiFi. What's yours?

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I love the Tricorder. It's also a quick way to see how many satellite locks you have for GPS. Yes there are better apps for this, but none cooler.

If you know your router's IP address grab one of the free ping utilities from the Market. I like to run 100 pings so that I can get a good idea of how things are going. When pinging your own router you should get some really short return times, say 5 ms. Anything over 100 is unusual unless you've got a lot of local devices using the connection. Dropped or lost pings are a sign that you have interference or a weak signal. Some should be expected. 10% or less is a minor problem that probably would not be too noticeable in actual use.

You can also test your whole path by pinging something like yahoo.com. Don't do 100 with that though. Not polite. Higher return times should also be expected.

Last edited: