Quake 2 GPU Test - Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire [Video]

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
rw6qkz.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy S line, which was introduced to all four major US carriers last week, has been receiving much buzz behind its Hummingbird processor. The Hummingbird SoC houses an impressive CPU/GPU combination (1ghz Cortex-A8 CPU + PowerVR SGX540 GPU), which is arguably the most powerful hardware for any smartphone on the market today.

And we all know that HTC's top-of-the-line smartphones, including the Desire, Incredible, and Evo 4g, are all running the 1ghz Snapdragon processor with the Adreno GPU (AMD z430). So, how does the Hummingbird stack up against HTC's Snapdragon/Adreno combo? Well thanks to a Youtube user by the name of androidsbands2010, we are able to compare how well both chips handle 3D gaming. The video displays the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S, side-by-side, concurrently running the Quake II port for Android. And to no surprise, the Hummingbird substantially outperforms the Snapdragon. Check out the video below:

[video=youtube;dpP5QljEqow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpP5QljEqow&feature=related"]YouTube - ???S vs HTC Desire 3D ?? ??, Galaxy S[/video]

What do you guys think? Is this enough to sway you toward a Galaxy S? Let us now.

via Android Central
source Youtube

bje1982

Reaction score
rw6qkz.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy S line, which was introduced to all four major US carriers last week, has been receiving much buzz behind its Hummingbird processor. The Hummingbird SoC houses an impressive CPU/GPU combination (1ghz Cortex-A8 CPU + PowerVR SGX540 GPU), which is arguably the most powerful hardware for any smartphone on the market today.

And we all know that HTC's top-of-the-line smartphones, including the Desire, Incredible, and Evo 4g, are all running the 1ghz Snapdragon processor with the Adreno GPU (AMD z430). So, how does the Hummingbird stack up against HTC's Snapdragon/Adreno combo? Well thanks to a Youtube user by the name of androidsbands2010, we are able to compare how well both chips handle 3D gaming. The video displays the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S, side-by-side, concurrently running the Quake II port for Android. And to no surprise, the Hummingbird substantially outperforms the Snapdragon. Check out the video below:

YouTube - ???S vs HTC Desire 3D ?? ??, Galaxy S

What do you guys think? Is this enough to sway you toward a Galaxy S? Let us now.

via Android Central
source Youtube
Looks alot less stud, studd, studdderish to meee. I guess Id consider it..

Lucas5

Reaction score
This looks like a sweet phone and the specs are impressive, but I'm sticking to my Moto Droid. Being the nerd that I am, rooting and trying to different ROMs is important to me. I would prefer to wait and see if custom ROM developers get behind this phone?
I'm assuming that unless you grab the source from google yourself than compile it, than you're going to be stuck with the stock ROM. Is that right?

him

Reaction score
Yeah but a phone that doesnt need to be rooted!!! Why do you root? I root to increase speed, if there is no longer a need for me to root with a device like this...any footage of quake 2 on droid X?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah but a phone that doesnt need to be rooted!!! Why do you root? I root to increase speed, if there is no longer a need for me to root with a device like this...any footage of quake 2 on droid X?

good question, i hope somebody can post one eventually. in my experience, quake 2 runs great on the Droid 1, i'm sure it runs as well, if not better on the X

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Never thought much about gaming on a phone but with the new bigger screens and fluid gameplay like that I just might be interested.

So where does one find games like that for our phones???

Lucas5

Reaction score
I root to try all the cool roms out there. overclocking for some extra speed is a bonus.

him

Reaction score
So what makes something an iphone clone? Looks? I think its far from an iphone clone based on OS alone.

Jmart922

Reaction score
I think a droid or the droid x would be a much better comparison, especially the droid x

sjohn902

Reaction score
For what it's worth to anyone wondering how the Droids would compare, I just installed Quake 2 to see how it would perform on my stock, unrooted Motorola Droid with 2.1. It was every bit as smooth as that Samsung phone.

silentbob343

Reaction score
We would really need to get framerates and use the same settings to get a true A/B comp.

Either way this video demonstrates what we already knew; the GPU on the Snapdragon leaves a lot to be desired.