[Q] Build.prop edits to set GSM/UMTS as default and disable switching/CDMA?

clockcycle

Reaction score
Anyone know what the options are for the portion in build.prop "# Default network type"?

I'd like to switch it to GSM/UMTS as the default.

And is there a way to stop it from auto switching to global or CDMA when it can not find a GSM/UMTS connection/network?

Or, what would the options be to disable switching or CDMA altogether?

-CC

SJWackness

Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well. By far the most frustrating flaw with the phone (and evidence I believe that no one bothered to actually test the phone outside of North America).

Is it possible to disable the CDMA band outright? I'll never use this phone in a cDMA zone again so it's completely unnecessary now.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Alas, this functionality is built into the Phone app (or at least I think so). I guess you could try the Phone app from Milestone 2 or XT860 4G…

eMWu

Reaction score
According to this topic ro.telephony.default_network=3 means GSM/WCDMA on Droid 3. Could be the same for D2G.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Note that this parameter is only taken into consideration after a factory reset. After the first boot, the phone uses Phone.apk's settings to initialise the transceiver.

Timetripper

Reaction score
Alas, this functionality is built into the Phone app (or at least I think so). I guess you could try the Phone app from Milestone 2 or XT860 4G…

Yes thats exactly the case. If you go to: Settings/ Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks/ Network mode --> choose preferred GSM/ UMTS then below you can pick UMTS only. I use in Canada on UMTS only the 850/1900 bands and it's been fine, always runs in 3G mode. So as far as I know my CDMA band is not enabled as long as the above selection has been set.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Last edited:

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Yes thats exactly the case. If you go to: Settings/ Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks/ Network mode --> choose preferred GSM/ UMTS then below you can pick UMTS only. I use in Canada on UMTS only the 850/1900 bands and it's been fine, always runs in 3G mode. So as far as I know my CDMA band is not enabled as long as the above selection has been set.
I'm not sure why do you consider the GSM/UMTS mode toggle related to CDMA.

To disable CDMA you need to set the network mode to GSM (i.e. not Global or CDMA). That's all.

GSM/UMTS lets you choose whether you want the phone to use 2G only (saving battery life), 3G with 2G fallback where coverage is bad, or 3G only. 3G only is good in countries like Japan where there's no 2G whatsoever available.

Timetripper

Reaction score
The first part of my reply was to address the original question of not being able to shut the CDMA radio off which didn't really have a yes or no answer. I just was making sure that forum readers knew that yes for sure you can 100% turn off the CDMA radio. As for the other part of my answer - having either GSM or UMTS has no bearing on CDMA but as for the actual settings if you have GB 2.3.3 then the first setting you get are - 1. Global 2. CDMA 3. GSM/UMTS . You can then go into a sub menu to pick if you want UMTS only. As for your comment about UMTS only setting being useful in Japan it also works 100% in Canada, you can use either of our major carriers (Rogers or Telus) on UMTS only mode. I have my D2g set this way and it works fine - I always have a signal in 3G and nothing else.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Sure, as long as their 3G coverage is 100%.

In most forest-covered areas of Hokkaido (north-eastern Japan) and Russia you can only get 2G signal, so having the phone in 3G only mode results in that damned “No GSM networks were found” message.