[Q] Android MP3 Players? (think iPod Touch or Zune, but Android)

sidsixseven

Reaction score
Basically, what I want is something exactly like a Zune HD or iPod Touch, but for Android. Basically, like a phone, but with WiFi only and no CDMA or LTE radio. I realize that I could probably buy a phone off eBay and figure out a way to disable the radio, but that's more of an option of last resort.

The only thing I can find that seems to fit the bill is the Samsung Galaxy WiFi 4.0 or 5.0. But the thing is, I can't tell if this is even available for sale anywhere. And most Google searches just turn up one of the Galaxy phones. I'm also trying to stick under a $200 budget.

I'm sure this question has come up in the past but internet search is not particularly helpful on the subject (Android MP3 Players mostly turns up Apps).

Anyone have any ideas?

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I would recommend an old D1 with cyanogenmod loaded up on it; just leave it in airplane mode all the time. You can still connect to wifi in airplane mode, and if you install a ULV kernel, battery life beats out most mp3 players without a hitch. DSP manager is also brilliant for music, it packs tons of features normal portable sources lack. Memory is not a concern if you're going to just use it for music, 16GB sd card(~20 bucks) is enough for most people, unless you're a head-fier and use FLAC. Though an old SGS wouldn't hurt either, since they use a Wolfson chip for audio. If you go with a Droid 1 though, do remember to use the straw fix for the headphone jack. It fixes the crackling problem due to how loose it is.

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
What its the straw fix...i have the crackling issue.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

porsche996

Reaction score
I use my D1 droid as my "gaming" & mp3 device... Since it doesn't have cellphone service anymore, I just turn on airplane mode, and leave the wireless adapter turned on. I uninstalled all apps other than just the couple that I use on there, and cleared the home screens of everything except them as well. Works great, with good battery life, especially with using SetCPU to keep the Mhz down when the screen is off. Plus, it's nice to run at 1200 mhz when I use it (screen on), as the D1 can give very good speeds when it's running a lean version of Android and overclocked... I use liquid gingerbread on it.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Basically, what I want is something exactly like a Zune HD or iPod Touch, but for Android. Basically, like a phone, but with WiFi only and no CDMA or LTE radio. I realize that I could probably buy a phone off eBay and figure out a way to disable the radio, but that's more of an option of last resort.

The only thing I can find that seems to fit the bill is the Samsung Galaxy WiFi 4.0 or 5.0. But the thing is, I can't tell if this is even available for sale anywhere. And most Google searches just turn up one of the Galaxy phones. I'm also trying to stick under a $200 budget.

I'm sure this question has come up in the past but internet search is not particularly helpful on the subject (Android MP3 Players mostly turns up Apps).

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok...go to Kmart..(yes Kmart..lol ) and they carry an Archos Android os Mp3 player...very small ... well, about 2.7 inch touchscreen...and wifi of course.. Anyway, in the electronics department..They have them for 99.00...Get a discount card and save a few dollars..anyway, it sounds like a perfect solution to your search...hope this helps...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use my D1 droid as my "gaming" & mp3 device... Since it doesn't have cellphone service anymore, I just turn on airplane mode, and leave the wireless adapter turned on. I uninstalled all apps other than just the couple that I use on there, and cleared the home screens of everything except them as well. Works great, with good battery life, especially with using SetCPU to keep the Mhz down when the screen is off. Plus, it's nice to run at 1200 mhz when I use it (screen on), as the D1 can give very good speeds when it's running a lean version of Android and overclocked... I use liquid gingerbread on it.

Yes I buy and sell them for this capability...bad esn or not...funny though, I find that many many people don't know their capabilities without service...these are my buyers...(for those devices in this condition)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sears has a couple Android mp3 players for $100 and $150.

random rom'd X

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
I would use my Droid for a mp3 player when I could upgrade
Can upgrade now but like to wait and still want to keep my unlimited data :p

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Tiamat 2.2
Tapatalk