Q about Alternate Upgrade.

mark729

Reaction score
hi all.
I have a droid(main line) : still far from eligible upgrade.(contract end 2011?)
also have another 2 more line under my name and 2 are eligible upgrade.

in this situaltion, Can I use another 2s upgrade to get a droidX?
If so, my droid will be a free phone which I can sell this to someone? or should it goes to one of another line?

1. main line - my droid : can not upgrade for while.
2. my wife's : upgrade eligible - no data plan
3. my parents : upgrade eligible - no data plan

Thanks.

Last edited:

daxdm302

Reaction score
Yes you can, but to do this its easier to go to the store... and on a day without a large crowd so they are more willing

I know cause I used my moms contract to get my droid last November

OP
M

mark729

Reaction score
so my droid can be a free contract phone?

ninjabox

Reaction score
Last time I upgraded I used my Mom's upgrade. What happens is you sign a new contract for which ever line you are useing to upgrade. So if you use your wifes. Her contract will either extend by 1 year or 2, which ever contract you choose.

wynalazca

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I think signing the contract also locks you in for at least 6 months on paying for the $30 data package. If the line you use doesn't have a data package already, your bill will increase. You could probably complain and get this removed though if I'm correct.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I think signing the contract also locks you in for at least 6 months on paying for the $30 data package. If the line you use doesn't have a data package already, your bill will increase. You could probably complain and get this removed though if I'm correct.

you can cancel the data right after you take the phone off that line and not incur any charges

ninjabox

Reaction score

No, I upgraded my phone (blackberry to newer blackberry) using my mother's upgrade and she just has a regular phone. So no charges.

OP
M

mark729

Reaction score
I'm sorry it not clear to me.
so If I use my parents upgrade to get a droidX, will my parents can keep using their phone or my droid?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
so If I use my parents upgrade to get a droidX, will my parents can keep using their phone or my droid?

however you want it just make sure each phone is set up to the right number on verizons system

vex321

Reaction score

Your mom will continue to use her old phone no need to take over your old phone

littlerick

Reaction score
you have to activate the x under her number then reactivate her old phone then the x is all yours

hendrix

Reaction score
Phones are not locked to an account in any way. Once you have the phone in your possession, you can do anything you want with it. If a droid is active on an account then it must have the $30 data plan but once it is removed then the data plan can be removed with 0 penalty.