Public Release of Honeycomb Source Delayed by Google

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-honeycomb.png

Google has decided to delay the release of the Honeycomb source-code to the general public for now. If you are a member of the Open Handset Alliance you can get access to 3.0. Also, other manufacturers are able to get access to the source-code upon request, but only for use on tablets. Ultimately, Google wants to avoid contaminating Android's marketing image because some low-end device makers forced out buggy "Honeycomb phones". Here's what Andy Rubin, CEO of Google had to say on the matter,
Android 3.0, Honeycomb, was designed from the ground up for devices with larger screen sizes and improves on Android favorites such as widgets, multi-tasking, browsing, notifications and customization…We didn’t want to think about what it would take for the same software to run on phones. It would have required a lot of additional resources and extended our schedule beyond what we thought was reasonable. So we took a shortcut. While we’re excited to offer these new features to Android tablets, we have more work to do before we can deliver them to other device types including phones… Until then, we’ve decided not to release Honeycomb to open source.
Before anyone could cry foul and compare Google to Apple, Mr. Rubin added,
"[Google is] committed to providing Android as an open platform across many device types and will publish the source as soon as it’s ready."
It is probably a bit nerve racking for developers and enthusiasts that Google has taken this step. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that they intend to begin "locking down" the product, but one could also look at it from the standpoint that Google is serious about protecting 'Andy' from being "dumbed-down" too much. Also, this fine-tuning process will help them nail-down extra security measures to help reduce malware issues in the future. What do you guys think? Is this a signal of sad times for Android, or just smart business strategy?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidPolice

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Frankly, I'm still happy I have Froyo on my DX. It brought a lot of stuff I was wanting. GB and HC just don't make me as hungry as Froyo did.

adsfa34

Reaction score
HC was developed from the ground-up for tablets, not phones. the only reason they're making it compatible for phones is for the community at-large. we should take it as a POSITIVE thing, not a negative one, that Google cares so much about the user experience. they are upholding the open-source nature of Android, not shutting it off.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I agree. The last thing I want is someone trying to shoehorn Honeycomb on a Droid 1. That would be Bad News. :)

However, once 2.4 drops, with all the improvements ported over from 3.0, it should be phenomenal. :D

adsfa34

Reaction score
+1 ice cream is going to be scrumpdiddlyumptious.

... ya know I wish these "+1"s actually aggregated... that could be dangerously fun... possibility for android.net?

Sent from Sourcery

LocoRon

Reaction score
I agree. The last thing I want is someone trying to shoehorn Honeycomb on a Droid 1. That would be Bad News. :)

However, once 2.4 drops, with all the improvements ported over from 3.0, it should be phenomenal. :D

Why would it be "Bad News"? What if someone happens to have a spare D1 they're not using anymore, but would like to continue using it as a tablet, rather than a phone? Or maybe they want to give it to someone else to use as a tablet?

Personally, I'm not happy about this. The whole point of open source is being able to adapt existing software to your own personal needs--needs which will generally not be met by the current implementation of said software.

The key point of this seems to be that Google wants to "finish" Honeycomb before releasing it... so why was it rushed out with the Xoom? It definitely makes me think, about a wide range of issues.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The D1 has a 3.7" screen. Honeycomb is optimized for 7"+ screens. I saw video of someone TRYING to run Honeycomb on an Incredible -- which has twice the RAM and a 1GHz processor -- and it wasn't going well, though it was "functional" for some definition of functional.

accellpo

Reaction score
This is a good move. I love my Xoom but it needs more fine tuning. I'm just glad to hear they're handling things carefully and Android will be a better experience in the long run. After using Honeycomb for a month I can truthfully say, that if they work out a few kinks, no operating system will touch it! I'm excited to see what's coming and my Xoom should get all the updates 1st.

adsfa34

Reaction score
That's what all the "likes" are for. ;)
lol goood point ... and THAT's what my brain is for... lol long day... :)

The D1 has a 3.7" screen. Honeycomb is optimized for 7"+ screens. I saw video of someone TRYING to run Honeycomb on an Incredible -- which has twice the RAM and a 1GHz processor -- and it wasn't going well, though it was "functional" for some definition of functional.

i saw that same video... it was a nightmare. HC on the Droid just isn't meant to be (sort of like GB now that I think about it...lol). just ask Google why they are developing 2.4 so soon after releasing 3.0... seems like a no-brainer to me.

it's just smart of Google to anticipate that people will try to put HC on their devices anyway, only because 3.0 > 2.whatever.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yup. This is fragmentation at the worst, but they're trying to limit it by NOT allowing people access to it to put it on phones. However, they can take the optimizations from 3.0 and put it in 2.4 -- according to Google 2.4 will run better than 2.3 did, even on less-capable machines. (This may change, but that's what I read so I'm sticking to it.)

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I just wanted an also honeycomb Tom for my nook color. Definitely kind of disa fee appointed when I read this a few days ago.