PSA - Deregister from Google Chat before switching to Iphone

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just a quick word of warning.

My lovely bride decided to switch to an Iphone 12 since her One-Plus was getting rather old. Unfortunately we failed to de-register her phone number from Google Chat before she made the switch. What does this mean? Well not much when using Google Messages on my phone, because I can force it use SMS with her number. However, if you use the google messages web interface to send her a message (ala PC or Tablet) all messages automatically go through CHAT with no way to re-direct them to SMS.

We've tried using Googles online form to de-register after the fact, but we get an error message saying to go through the service provider (AT&T in our case).

So be warned :cool:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good to know, hope you can figure out a solution.

What is the process to deregister from Chat? I've never seen that option anywhere or even heard of it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
radon222

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The easiest method is right in the Messages app under Settings. Go to the same place you went to enable Chat, just disable it. Or there is online form where you can type your phone number and Chat sends you a verification code.

The trick is to do either of the above before your phone number has been re-assigned to an I-thing I guess.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The easiest method is right in the Messages app under Settings. Go to the same place you went to enable Chat, just disable it. Or there is online form where you can type your phone number and Chat sends you a verification code.

The trick is to do either of the above before your phone number has been re-assigned to an I-thing I guess.

Thanks. I knew that and somehow had a complete brain-fart and forgot that it's called Chat Features in the Messages app settings. I'll call it a senior moment. Thanks again for providing the good info. The only way my wife and I would switch to an iPhone is if Google stopped making Pixels. But definitely good to know for friends & family members that switch between different OS phones.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk