Process to take it back to "Out of Box"?

MuGGzy

Reaction score
I am planning on exchanging my DX for a new one under my warranty. Ya ya, I know I "voided my warranty when I rooted it", whatever, lets pretend that little bit of moral flexibility is a non issue for the sake of this thread.

I have the SBF on my PC (VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.zip) and presently my phone is modded to use the Liberty ROM.

Model Number: DROIDX
Android Version: 2.2.1
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
Build Number:VZW
Liberty ROM
Clockwork Recovery and Droid X Bootstrapper.

I was having trouble with the phone before I flashed it with the new ROM, so I did a "Factory Reset" on the phone, it didn't help, so I wanted to see if flashing a new ROM on it and bypassing ALL the VZ Bloat resolved it. It didn't, so the phone seems to have a few minor hardware issues.

So I have called VZ and asked them about the replacement, told them I had factory reset and had the same problems. They stopped me when they realized I was ON the phone and said they wanted me to do some troubleshooting steps on the phone before authorizing a replacement. So at that point I assumed they would be able to tell I had a rom'd/rooted phone and void me in the system. Maybe not but better safe than sorry.

So, I am going to flash it back to stock and then get it replaced while I still can, after all it is only 5-6 months old and cost me a full "arm".

I have searched and found this thread about recovering from a "Brick" situation using RSD Lite.
Not sure if this would be the same procedure for a ROM'd DX.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/68222-unbricking-your-droid-x.html

Any advice or info, or even a link to a "DIY" would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Antob125

Reaction score
From reading all the forums for the past week I've learned you should first sbf your phone the load clockwork recovery and wipe cache then factory reset.

But that still leave the phone rooted. So I dunno for sure

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nah, they wouldn't have known (verizon). Anyway, sbf back to stock. No need to reroot (that's what you're trying to get rid of right?) If it bootloops after the sbf, boot into stock recovery by holding power and home. When you see the triangle with the!, press search and go down to wipe data and then reboot system. That should take care of the bootloop and you will be golden. Let me know how it goes. By the way, youtube has great video on dx and sbf. Just search for them.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

OP
M

MuGGzy

Reaction score
I basically just want to put it back to a condition that once I get them to send me a new one (going to demand a NEW and not a Refurb) when I send mine in they don't end up sending me a bill saying mine was not under warranty due to some bullcrap like having been rooted etc.

I just figured they would ask me to read something off or do some process to troubleshoot it and make sure it's not something easy, a basic customer service script, before sending me out a new one. I just didn't want them to ask me for a **** number or version and end up telling them, "Um, my phone doesn't HAVE that...", "Sorry sir, no warranty, you're SOL".

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I hear you. It's much better to be safe than sorry. The conversation is recorded. As long as you sbf, you will be golden. Also, good luck getting a new one. That may happen with a newer model, but the warranty doesn't say it has to be new, just in usable condition. Plus the dx has been out almost a year. Anything is possible though. Just wouldn't count on it!

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz