Problems with root/unroot/install of new update

opiumskittles

Reaction score
Ok, so I got a new Droid 2 and read all the faqs about rooting the phone and whatnot. I followed the guide on the unlockr for the superoneclick root method. All I wanted to do was delete some of the apps that were pre-installed (blockbuster, facebook, etc.)

I then used the button to unroot my phone. Now, I'm getting updates about the new OS 2.3.20. I download it, the phone resets, and halfway through installing the update fails and my phone boots.

Someone told me it could be because I rooted my phone. But I could have sworn it unrooted properly. Is there any way to tell if it is rooted/unrooted? Or why else might the update be failing?

Thanks

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Deleting some of the "bloat" could cause this issue. What exactly did you remove?

DroidForums junkie!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The deletion of bloat is what caused it to fail. I believe the bloat apps are available in a thread that is stickied at the top of this section.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
O

opiumskittles

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all I deleted were the blockbuster, facebook, and twitter apps that were on there. If I actually uninstalled other things and can't figure out what they are, would a factory reset work?

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No a factory reset wont get back the apks you deleted. Like I said the apps are all available here.

OP
O

opiumskittles

Reaction score
Alright, I got them. I guess if it doesn't work I'll just go through them one by one. Guess i learned to keep track of what I deleted.

Thanks for the help though

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Isn't there a list somewhere of what CAN be removed? If not, there should be!

No a factory reset wont get back the apks you deleted. Like I said the apps are all available here.

DroidForums junkie!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes. An even better thing to do than delete apps, for future use, is to use titanium backup to freeze apps. Then when its update time you can just thaw them out.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Isn't there a list somewhere of what CAN be removed? If not, there should be!

DroidForums junkie!

I think there is a list somewhere but updates will fail even if you remove only one of them regardless of which it is.

OP
O

opiumskittles

Reaction score
For some reason the installation of CityID continually fails. Do I need to do something special to my phone?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Very true!

Yes. An even better thing to do than delete apps, for future use, is to use titanium backup to freeze apps. Then when its update time you can just thaw them out.

DroidForums junkie!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry but I have no insight in to that issue. I don't delete my apps so I'm not sure what's causing the issue.

OP
O

opiumskittles

Reaction score
now i totally screwed things up...

So, I thought I could just replace a lot of the files and see if it overwrote any of them to try to get them all back. I guess I accidentally chose some of the blur files, because the phone did a reset. Now things like the alarm clock and the calendar are missing from my apps list. I don't have a backup..

And when I try to update it says "System update" is not available without a motorola service account.

Is there any way to get this all back to stock?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well at this point you may have to do an sbf back to stock. Its a drastic measure though so you might want to wait for someone else to chime in.