Unroot to update?

ShinyFraga

Reaction score
I'm very new to all this root stuff. My husband actually rooted my phone for me. I'm just wondering if I need to unroot my phone to install the DL09 update? I can download the update but the install fails. Sorry if this is a ridiculous question. And thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You need to unroot first. If you deleted any preinstalled apps, you'll need to find them and re-install them as well to do an OTA update.

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
S

ShinyFraga

Reaction score
Awesome thank you so much for the response! I didn't delete any stock apps, so I'm good there. What about the apps I installed that work only with root? Can they just sit on my phone until I can reroot? Or do I need to uninstall them as well?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You're welcome! They should be fine. If not (unlikely), uninstall them and re-install them after you root again. I don't see them being an issue though. Kudos for not deleting them! :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
S

ShinyFraga

Reaction score
Good deal. You've been a tremendous help! Thanks again for the info. :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's why we're here :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

misaac

Reaction score
How do you unroot the phone? I froze some of my apps so I will thaw them before trying the update again.

Thanks.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How did you root?

How do you unroot the phone? I froze some of my apps so I will thaw them before trying the update again.

Thanks.

DroidForums Junkie!!

jimv2000

Reaction score
My phone was rooted and it updated just fine. I did have to re-root afterwards though.

Sent from my SCH-I500

jimmy2179428

Reaction score
Yeah that's weird. My coworker rooted his SGS and has stock rom and didn't deleted anything. He got the update and it updated just fine. But now he is unrooted.

sledge3n8

Reaction score
You need to unroot first. If you deleted any preinstalled apps, you'll need to find them and re-install them as well to do an OTA update.

DroidForums Junkie!!

I didn't reinstall my uninstalled bloatware but I did unroot before applying DL09 successfully. After updating to DL09, z4root no longer worked for me but "1-click" did the job.

sledge3n8

Reaction score
Good deal. You've been a tremendous help! Thanks again for the info. :)

FYI, you do not need to reinstall apps. I didn't and all went perfectly. The bloatware was there again after updating to DL09 though. I just rooted after update and removed bloatware again.