Problems coming off the Network extender...and connecting to Extender

bionictk

Reaction score
I have had the Samsung Charge, the Droid X, and now the Bionic.....The Charge and Bionic are both having similar issues when connecting to or coming off my home network extender.
The only way to get my 3G coverage back is to turn on airplane mode and restart the radio.

I did not have this issue with my X, just my 4G phones.
I have the phone settings on CDMA only(we have no 4G in area yet) so I don't think it has to do with that...but am perplexed as to what may be causing this or what I can do to correct it.
The phone also will shut down the 3G when it is asleep, and I have to give it a few seconds to reconnect when I wake it up.

Any advice?

Thanks

moneil1002

Reaction score
I have had the Samsung Charge, the Droid X, and now the Bionic.....The Charge and Bionic are both having similar issues when connecting to or coming off my home network extender.
The only way to get my 3G coverage back is to turn on airplane mode and restart the radio.

I did not have this issue with my X, just my 4G phones.
I have the phone settings on CDMA only(we have no 4G in area yet) so I don't think it has to do with that...but am perplexed as to what may be causing this or what I can do to correct it.
The phone also will shut down the 3G when it is asleep, and I have to give it a few seconds to reconnect when I wake it up.

Any advice?

Thanks

I had the Droid (1st Gen) and the X and then got the TB in April. I have been working with Senior Tech Engineers in NY to as a "test" if you will. Even had conference calls with Samsung (2 of them) to get the TB to work on the extender. No issues with X or the Droid 1. We have tried everything!!! The bottom line, straight from Samsung and Senior Engineers mouths, 4g phones are not working properly on the extenders. They are working on updating the extenders but they do not know when that will be. At this point they do not even know how to fix the issue. We have tried so many things, that they have literally broken 2 extenders trying. I am done testing, been patient, and unfortunately have had to downgrade back to a 3g phone. Got the Incredible 2. Sucks because I do have 4G in my area (2 miles from my house). But not useful if I can't use the phone at home. I only have the extender because my house sits at the bottom of a hill.

I will say that you will read all kinds of blogs and advice about turning off or toggling between the 4g and 3g to get your phone to work with the extender as well as other "fixes". Trust me....they are temporary. Every single time that Samsung updates your extender or your 4G phone updates, you WILL be right back to square 1.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you have good enough signal, and can use your WIFI in conjunction with whatever signal you have for voice, then keep the 4g cuz. For me, it was the voice signal that was a problem.

mamawm

Reaction score
my husband has the charge and i have the bionic and we aren't having problems reconnecting or connecting to the extender. after leaving the house it does take longer to grab the signal than with the old d1 and eris, maybe 3-4 minutes for 3g to reconnect. the airplane trick does work to get it back immediately, but it's usually back by the time i get a mile or so down the road anyway. i've not noticed any issues with reconnecting to the extender but maybe that takes a few minutes too. i certainly have not missed any calls or dropped any here at the house.

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
my husband has the charge and i have the bionic and we aren't having problems reconnecting or connecting to the extender. after leaving the house it does take longer to grab the signal than with the old d1 and eris, maybe 3-4 minutes for 3g to reconnect. the airplane trick does work to get it back immediately, but it's usually back by the time i get a mile or so down the road anyway. i've not noticed any issues with reconnecting to the extender but maybe that takes a few minutes too. i certainly have not missed any calls or dropped any here at the house.

Same here. I have the network extender at home because I get terrible reception inside my condo. Reception is good outside (including 4g), and I don't seem to get any sort of real lag when connecting to the extender once inside. Same for when I leave. As soon as I hop in my car and look at my phone, I have full bars and 4g.

ccsoty

Reaction score
From what I understand, there's an issue with the Bionic regarding WiFi and 4/3G. Issue should be resolved in OTA Patch coming November (from what I heard).
I'm running of extender for WiFi too, but it doesn't matter if you're off an extender or base WiFi unit.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
I don't have an extender, but have had issues with 3G remaining on while Wifi is on, and then keeping a 3G connection once out of Wifi range. Something that has helped a great deal is a Tasker profile that turns off mobile data when connected to Wifi, and turns it back on again once Wifi is disconnected.

I know this isn't the same problem being discussed here, but there may be a similar workaround for the extender issues.