Problem With the Update

Numbskill

Reaction score
When the update became available, I tried to install it, but it failed because I had deleted some system files. So I choose to download an update worked despite that fact, and that didn't unroot. I worked well, I just can't find the link to show you the exact method I used. The name of the zip is D2-2320-Odexed.zip

Now the issue I have is an alert that says "! INFO: Download of Update Failed"

And if I go to System Updates, it states "Update is currently being downloaded. You will be notified when the download is complete."

I have already downloaded the official OTA but never installed it. Does anyone know where I can find it to delete it?

Also, How will i opt out of the OTA update all together? I don't want to deal with this until GB 3.0

Last edited:

plasticmajestic

Reaction score
When the update became available, I tried to install it, but it failed because I had deleted some system files. So I choose to download an update worked despite that fact, and that didn't unroot. I worked well, I just can't find the link to show you the exact method I used. The name of the zip is D2-2320-Odexed.zip

Now the issue I have is an alert that says "! INFO: Download of Update Failed"

And if I go to System Updates, it states "Update is currently being downloaded. You will be notified when the download is complete."

I have already downloaded the official OTA but never installed it. Does anyone know where I can find it to delete it?

Also, How will i opt out of the OTA update all together? I don't want to deal with this until GB 3.0
there may be an "update.zip" file on the root of your SD Card. If so, you can delete it using a File manager. If it isn't there, it may be hiding in your cache. Deleting it from there, would require something like Clockwork Recovery.

I know you can "delay" the OTA updates (12 hours at a time), but eventually it will be pushed to your phone, unless you're running a custom ROM/build.

chaulis

Reaction score
Has anyone made any progress on this? I just started having the same issue after following the directions in this thread.

abbazaba

Reaction score
I'd say go if all is failing go the easy road. Try updating with RSDlite and with the full 2.3.20 SBF as shown here. I followed the steps below "Update: ..."

After it finished I just had to reactivate my phone(?) by dialing *228 and following the directions. So after doing that, I ended up with an unrooted 2.3.20. I then checked for an official OTA update and it said it had the latest version (new baseband ver/kernel).

Next step: re-root :)

Cyric297

Reaction score
Tried that

I also tried to goto stock 2.3.20 via RDSLite and the SBF. However as soon as I go to the About Phone tab, it says the update is 'currently downloading' and then i immediately get the "Info: Download of update failed", and can't seem to be able to do anything to get it to go away. I'm sure its just some file sitting somewhere doing nothing and needs to be deleted. But where is that file?

Phone: Droid2

Last edited:

abbazaba

Reaction score
I also tried to goto stock 2.3.20 via RDSLite and the SBF. However as soon as I go to the About Phone tab, it says the update is 'currently downloading' and then i immediately get the "Info: Download of update failed", and can't seem to be able to do anything to get it to go away. I'm sure its just some file sitting somewhere doing nothing and needs to be deleted. But where is that file?

Phone: Droid2

Hm that's weird. After the install, did you reboot and go into recovery to wipe the cache partition? I had some app problems until I did that.

And did you use the full SBF? It's the one thats around 250MB. I actually didn't even have to touch my D2 after setting it to USB debugging mode, having RSDlite see it, and letting RSD update the .sbf which took under 10 mins. It rebooted on its own with un-rooted 2.3.20.

I also used RSDlite 4.8 and made sure I had the latest Motorola drivers. The links are in my post above for those things, but Vista updated some Moto drivers on its own so maybe that affected things.

good luck

Cyric297

Reaction score
What I did to fix it...

I did use the full SBF. I am not sure however if I went in after and wiped the cache partition, however I do know that I followed the flash instructions word for word. I think however, that I made a different error, that I won't make again.

Since this is my first smart phone, and first android, this was my first foray into updating, especially since I had already rooted my phone. First I had tried the over the air update, which, obviously is a mistake. Of course that failed because I had removed a bunch of things it was probably looking for. After that failure I tried applying the SBF. This updated it but i was left with that same error. Being a n00b, I then started trying everything I thought might work, such as applying the 'patch' since I didn't know its purpose or the difference between the .SBF and what the .ZIP was, so I simply assumed i'd need to apply that patch afterwards. So I tried that... failure. Phone worked, just got that annoying notice. Imagine a wash/rinse/repeat cycle here, all to no avail. (I also tried flashing back to 2.2.20, that just left me with a brick).

What I did to fix it was to do a factory reset, and apply the 2.3.20 SBF. I had most everything backed up, most of which was able to be done just prior to the hard reset, not needing the foresight of all this before I started the update fiasco. After doing that and setting up the phone again, all is good. An annoying process, but at least I learned what to do in the future...

Nolubez

Reaction score
What I did to fix it was to do a factory reset, and apply the 2.3.20 SBF. I had most everything backed up, most of which was able to be done just prior to the hard reset, not needing the foresight of all this before I started the update fiasco. After doing that and setting up the phone again, all is good. An annoying process, but at least I learned what to do in the future...

Is this really the only way to fix this annoying message? I am in the exact same boat here. Really don't want to have to do a full reset.

There is really no way to turn off pushed updates?

Cyric297

Reaction score
Not Sure...

I'm not sure if there is another way, all I know is that what I did, *DID* fix it. abbazaba above suggested wiping the cache, you might want to try that first. I'm sure there has to be another way to do it, but I haven't gone through the system enough to know what file to change and what setting to update in order to do so... maybe some of the other users might know...

OP
Numbskill

Numbskill

Reaction score
Really don't want to have to do a full reset.

I flashed the full SBF last night and it immediately completed the update download and installation.

I was also pleasantly suprised to see that all my settings and apps were still in tact. I was expecting a lot worse. All I have to do is re-root and I'm golden.