Going old school- knowledge transfer request

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score
Recently, I started really missing my og droid so I ordered a D2 (Not Global)online. I didn't realize that the current base version of Android determined which Roms I could flashed. I thought once I was rooted I could wipe everything and install anything. CM is aborting because it wants me to be on the gingerbread OTA (the phone came with froyo). The phone wants to update to gingerbread but now that I rooted froyo the OTA keeps failing.

I guess I gotta find a Rom that runs over froyo or I gotta sbf back to stock and get the official gingerbread update.

It's hard to find any working links to download D2 Roms. The only one I was successful with so far was downloading CM and you see how that turned out.

1) What is the deal here... Since I'm running froyo... Can I only install Roms that are meant to be applied over froyo? Does it have to do with the current kernal that I have? Could someone explain this a little more please? I'd like to understand this.

2) I've done a ton of searching on my own... But does anyone know of working D2 Rom links?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
1) Correct, you can only install roms specific to the OS version you're on.
2) have you searched XDA forums? If they are anywhere that's where they'll be. Keep in mind however that this is an old device and you'll likely run into broken/dead links.
This is why someone previously suggested you purchase an older Nexus device. If you miss your root/romming days, this is the device that will provide you the best overall rooting experience.
Good luck in your search!

S5 tap'n

OP
D

DrMantisToboggan

Reaction score
1) Correct, you can only install roms specific to the OS version you're on.
2) have you searched XDA forums? If they are anywhere that's where they'll be. Keep in mind however that this is an old device and you'll likely run into broken/dead links.
This is why someone previously suggested you purchase an older Nexus device. If you miss your root/romming days, this is the device that will provide you the best overall rooting experience.
Good luck in your search!

S5 tap'n
Thanks for replying. I know this phone is very old so I'll just need to do a lot of digging. I'm curious about the Roms being dependent on the current OS version. I'd like to learn a little more if you don't mind sharing... is it because the Rom is built to use specific kernals based on the version of Android you have? I always thought that once you wiped data, it was like formatting your hard drive and then flashing a Rom was like installing a whole new OS but apparently I was ignorant to exactly how this works. When you wipe data, what is actually wiped and what is left behind as a base? I assume what is left behind, this base, is what certain Roms are specifically built for which is why Roms are dependent on specific OS versions?

P.s. I know it was suggested that I get a nexus but I started out with Droids so that's really the nostalgia I'm looking for plus it's not just wanting to flash things like the old days.. I tally miss the Droid phone with its slide out keyboard. I love sliding that thing out and actually feeling the buttons.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Plus, The current OS has many more security fixes that you won't have with older ROMs.