Rooted Droid 3 now update failure

darkmatter

Reaction score
Yea, nfl mobile bloat to me, zumocast however is not.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
NFL Mobile does NOT equal bloatware.

Sorry but I had to add that.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

So software I can't uninstall without a rooted phone, that I don't want, that caches system resources, isn't bloatware? Next time you have a thought stop yourself before you look like a moron, no offense.

xyvyx

Reaction score
ok, spoke too soon... seems the basic "contacts" application is now failing after the update, likely related to removing one of those APKs I mentioned... I can see the phonebook? app or whatever... so recent calls, texts, etc... but when trying to view a contact or dialing them from the same screen, it does an immediate force-close (process com.motorola.contacts). Copied the VCast and Yahoo contacts files back, so far, no change :(

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
ok, spoke too soon... seems the basic "contacts" application is now failing after the update, likely related to removing one of those APKs I mentioned... I can see the phonebook? app or whatever... so recent calls, texts, etc... but when trying to view a contact or dialing them from the same screen, it does an immediate force-close (process com.motorola.contacts). Copied the VCast and Yahoo contacts files back, so far, no change :(

Use the script psouza made over at xda. 55 possible removed apps... Or rather renamed apk's. Can be deleted with easy options to keep things like stock launcher, swype, moto widgets, etc. I'll edit with link... They are all verified safe to remove.

Edit: URL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1238472 check it out. I only have what is required to run the phone left, and I even left some things like swype and default homescreen which I might remove later. FOTO.apk is the only one not reset by using the undo function script which sets all the .apk.bak files to .apk again, for updating, etc.... The only thing you will have to get is a script manager, I recommend RO script manager because it works great and was free. It doubles as a root browser and will let you remount /system rw or ro depending on what you are doing. This guy took a lot of the trial and error out of removing the bloatware for us, might as well use what he's giving us! It works flawlessly if you have root and follow the directions perfectly. Make sure you have original usb cable for connection to pc also, third party cables and old models have been known to cause issues with running cli applications to the phone from pc. Goodluck!

Last edited:

xyvyx

Reaction score
ok, it was indeed the Yahoo Mail Authenticator...

all the other APKs, when I copied them back to the /system/apps/ folder, they behaved normally. But the permissions on this Yahoo piece prevented it from being run as a service. After I changed it, rebooted, all was well...

Permissions changed via. Super Manager (which can also freeze apps) to the following:
XXO
XOO
XOO

it should be noted that the Super Manager app, at least in the current version, doesn't display the CHMOD permissions correctly for these or some APKs. Each time the edit menu for a file is opened, it showed full permission on everything, making it look like my changes weren't being applied... but they were. Permissions on .odex files were handled correctly, though.

ki4lhl

Reaction score
I previously had the HTC Incredible, and was used to getting warnings not to install OTA updates if I had root, or I would lose root. So, when I got prompted to do an OTA update on my Droid 3, I figured the same applied. So, I unrooted the phone and restored my System apps, using Pete's Motorola Root Tool. Now, I have an unrooted phone with all my bloatware back, but I still can't install the OTA update. I get the error "update failed". Do I need to download the rooted version, root my phone again, and install the rooted version to get this update installed? If so, can someone please post a link to the rooted version?

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
I previously had the HTC Incredible, and was used to getting warnings not to install OTA updates if I had root, or I would lose root. So, when I got prompted to do an OTA update on my Droid 3, I figured the same applied. So, I unrooted the phone and restored my System apps, using Pete's Motorola Root Tool. Now, I have an unrooted phone with all my bloatware back, but I still can't install the OTA update. I get the error "update failed". Do I need to download the rooted version, root my phone again, and install the rooted version to get this update installed? If so, can someone please post a link to the rooted version?

Fota.apk.bak must be renamed manually to fota.apk then you soul be able to update. If you don't have a way to browse the system directory, I suggest using script manager since you can use the options to mount system rw and ro. And rename files. Good luck!

ISHY64

Reaction score
Fota.apk.bak must be renamed manually to fota.apk then you soul be able to update. If you don't have a way to browse the system directory, I suggest using script manager since you can use the options to mount system rw and ro. And rename files. Good luck!

I unrooted and my Fota.apk says that on it and still it won't update?????

Tepes

Reaction score
Look around for a system dump. I know it's out there, I used it when I decided to delete before the leak came out. Compare your system/app to the dump and replace anything you are missing. I used root explorer to do this because you need to reset the permissions. Be sure to replace Everything, that includes the apks and any odex files you may have deleted.

sent from my Hitchhiker's Guide mark 2

ISHY64

Reaction score

I been trying to restore my D3 but it says i dont have a Restore folder, I already set up a folder name restore and extracted both the pete's moto tool and the restore files. What am I doing wrong?

rafaelco

Reaction score
Hello, this is my 1st android phone and I started very wrong - I rooted and deleted the apps I didn't want! What now causes my update to fail. I cannot find a way to restore the apps, as it was all deleted not renamed, and I was so stupid not to backup it. Can anyone help me? There is a way for me to restore or download it?

rvcjew

Reaction score
Hello, this is my 1st android phone and I started very wrong - I rooted and deleted the apps I didn't want! What now causes my update to fail. I cannot find a way to restore the apps, as it was all deleted not renamed, and I was so stupid not to backup it. Can anyone help me? There is a way for me to restore or download it?

Use the sbf and rsd lite back up your data first. Search the forum for the file im not sure where it is atm.

Beamed from my SteelDroid D3