Problem With Sky Map

BoJatey

Reaction score
Any one having problems with Google Sky Map not maneuvering the way it should. Was running fine on rooted froyo but I'm running Liberty GB now and it seems like it's working in reverse or it just doesn't go the same way as my phone when I scan the sky. Don't know exactly when it became disoriented but happened sometime through all of the Liberty updates. Any help would be appreciated.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I see this too and figured it was an uncalibrated compass after upgrading to gingerbread. I recalibrated the compass but GSM still is wonky.

When I hold the phone in portrait mode, moving left to right is reversed but if I rotate to landscape mode, it moves correctly left to right. However, moving up and down is correct either way BUT the image moves DIAGONALLY and does not "lock" the vertical axis.

End result is that GSM no longer functions correctly at all. Not like it used to and it's no longer worth having on the phone. Maybe a cache clearing will help or maybe an uninstall/reinstall. I'll try that and see what happens.

Reaction score
How are other apps that depend on the GPS, compass, and accelerometer work. There is a free app called GPS status that you might run and see if it functions correctly.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Here's an update - I cleared the GSM cache and tested. Same problem. I then uninstalled it. Before reinstalling it, I got the bright idea to try Google Maps because it has a cool Street View Compass Mode where you hold the phone like in GSM and can look around as if you were actually "there" where the map location was set.

Well, imagine my surprise to find that it's got the same problem. In portrait mode turning right/left is reversed. In landscape mode it's correct though the up/down movement is a bit strange in both orientations too.

The only change is Gingerbread. Ugh.

I have GPS Status and it reports as best I can tell that the GPS is working correctly. Indeed, I've already used the phone several times for in-car navigation and it was correct the entire time and it seems to recalibrate faster than my dedicated Garmin nuvi does.

I've also used the compass and it's also pointing correctly according to my real Suunto compass.

So somewhere along the line Google Sky Map and Google Maps are not getting along with Gingerbread and/or the accelerometers. I don't know if/where there's an accelerometer cache or recalibration routine. I've been playing Need For Speed Shift without problem.

Maybe time to do a hard reset and start over....

Uh, wait a second. I just Googled droid x gingerbread sky map and got a LOT of hits on this and it appears that Gingerbread did break something with the compass and the accelerometers affecting any apps that use them. Not sure what the policy is here on posting links so I'll just say Google the terms I did and read the first few hits. They all say the same thing and there's apparently no fix in sight. I like how some dropped back to Froyo and proved it worked there but is broken in GB. Great.

It's inexcusable to release an update that breaks not only the apps but the phone itself. Just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reaction score
GPS status has both a leveling bubble and pitch indicator that are turned off by default. Might give a clue about what is going on.

Also might try some games that depend on the accelerometer like a race car game and see what happens there.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Same problem here. Is the DX2 effected too??
A quick Google search does not bring up any hits on the X2 experiencing this issue so it probably isn't affected. Then again, I didn't look that closely at the results. All I know is searching for just the X and Sky Map got a LOT of hits on the failure of it to work.

I can't stand it when an "update" or "fix" breaks something like this with no real rhyme or reason. As I noted, this fails in both Sky Map and Google Maps when in the Compass Mode. Any app that uses this sort of augmented reality interface with the compass and accelerometers must be broken. Stupid.

Reaction score
X2 isn't running GB yet so it can't be affected. Update is supposed to roll out anytime now.

shredde

Reaction score
GB breaks the droid x's accelerometer and compass. It was noticed immediately after the first leak, and has been present in every build so far.

I only know what I read in other forums, but someone somewhere had mentioned that this area of the code has been reworked for GB.

I was part of Moto's SOAK and I tried and tried to get Moto's attention on this -- and they completely ignore the problem, and will not acknowledge there is anything wrong here.

The only thing they would mention was the problem in Google Maps and that upgrading to the latest version of Google Maps fixes the problem (the one they won't acknowledge). The Google Maps update makes Google Maps work better, but does not at all "fix" the problem.

To me, Motorola's decision to ignore this problem is the worst possible situation. I paid 200 bucks for this phone in August 2010. And I'm locked into a 2 yr contract that I've already shelled out about 1,400 bucks on during my first year, and I've got another 1,400 bucks to pay for another year of my contract.

I wouldn't even care if they fix it or can't --- It would have made a world of difference to me if they would just acknowledge there IS a problem.

What makes it even more difficult is that many people will run google sky maps and see that it does "run" on the phone. It doesn't FC or lock up the phone, and if you're not really paying attention to what's on the screen, it "appears" to be working. When someone tries to post about the problem, someone always wants to chime in and say "it's working perfect on my droid x!" becuase they "think" it is working right.

So, GB cripples the droid x - by breaking the accelerometer and compass - and the solution seems to be to sweep the problem under a rug and pretend there is no problem.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I'll tell you what - I just updated to Google Maps 5.8.0 and it's still crap. Compass mode is still broken in portrait mode and still broken in vertical rotation. So they lied to you. It's not fixed.

This is the one major issue that makes me want to chuck it all and finally try the downgrade route and go back to Froyo. Granted Google Sky Map and Google Maps' compass view are more cool technology demonstrators than anything but they worked in the two versions before Gingerbread and likely before that so to allow them to break with no fix is ridiculous. What else might be broken I just haven't found yet?

Don't get me started on that stupid keyboard problem I've been having along with a lot of other people.

I may just bite the bullet and downgrade this weekend if I can find the time.

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Sadly the Droid X2 is already being shipped with GB and Verizon acknowledges the problems, but says dropping back to Froyo or not upgrading to GB if you have Froyo, voids your service/waranty contract. WTF??

Reaction score
Other then sharing a similar chassis the Droid X and X2 are not in any way alike. Different screen, different processors, etc. So don't assume that the GB update for DROID X2 will have this problem. Lets not start false rumors with baseless speculation.

Reaction score
Oh and Droid X2 ships with Froyo not Gingerbread. A GB update is in the tube and expected to roll out literally any time now but RIGHT NOW this phone is running Froyo.

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
My X2 is due here tomorrow morning, and the Verizon supervisor said it is shipping with GB.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
My X2 is due here tomorrow morning, and the Verizon supervisor said it is shipping with GB.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I doubt it will have GB. If so you will get it ahead of us that already own the phone. No x2 has been seen with GB yet. VZW reps are idiots. I'd call'em liars but most speak out of true stupidity then any real malice.