Problem with GPS

philc21

Reaction score
Anyone have a problem connecting to the gps? I try to get navigation and numerous times i've had it sit "searching for gps signal" for hours on end or "getting driving directions" and not being able to use the navigation. Since navigation is one of the huge reasons i got this phone i'd like to figure out whats wrong. Shouldn't i be able to receive a gps signal almost anywhere as long as im outside? or is there something else that could be wrong

GaEMTDiver

Reaction score
Anyone have a problem connecting to the gps? I try to get navigation and numerous times i've had it sit "searching for gps signal" for hours on end or "getting driving directions" and not being able to use the navigation. Since navigation is one of the huge reasons i got this phone i'd like to figure out whats wrong. Shouldn't i be able to receive a gps signal almost anywhere as long as im outside? or is there something else that could be wrong

I tried to use it on the way home around 630 and had the same issue. Went in and out. I think it is a GPS sat problem.

Pdigg

Reaction score
I've been having an issue, but only with google maps/navigation, every now and then...
I'll load up maps, and the GPS symbol will just blink and not lock in.
But, if I load up something else that uses GPS like Places Directory or Weatherbug, it works fine. Sometimes, I can even go back to maps after using Places Directory and it will start working.. No idea...

clane

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem with my GPS on my Moto Droid not getting My Location. So, I uninstalled Weather.com and WHERE because they are both GPS based. Now, My Location is working again on the GPS. My Location wasn't working on anything before. Anyone, know how to fix this problem. I LOVE the WHERE app and miss it....and Weather! HELP!

Last edited:

rp683

Reaction score
Same issue here.... won't lock in and I'm on a trip from conn to NH... the wife is not impressed with the droid now, haha...

I rebooted twice, nothing.... horrible... good thing I still have my Garmin in glovebox.

skipdidit

Reaction score
I'm having connection issues with GPS too

I became addicted to Waze this past week. Now I'm having problems with the GPS. I'm having cravings for snowflakes and candycanes.

At first my location was wrong on the map. Today I'm not getting GPS at all. Could it be an application issue?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just tried it this morning 1/22 and it locked on my signal in about 15 seconds. It is however taking alittle more time then normal getting as accurate as it usually does. Usually within 30 seconds i'm at 10-4 meter accuracy, this time at 30 seconds i was still at 30 meters. So alittle extra lag time there.

Istus

Reaction score
I have found that if you begin driving (or are already driving) before you get a good lock, it does take a significant amount of time for it to pick up a signal (20-30 minutes occasionally).

I just set it before I leave to where I am going, let the GPS lock on, 30 seconds at most, and I'm good to go.

soyboy

Reaction score
Same problem today. Plus while I was driving in Maryland, the map showed me in California! Weird. Maybe it's is something with the satellites/telemetry systems, although with the world so dependent on them these days that doesn't seem like this stuff should happen. I looked and didn't see any new stories about GPS problems. Maybe a software glitch on our phones. Who knows? Hopefully Google will update the navigation software so to fix some of the (minor) problems. I know I sure would like to have a night mode. I know that Navigation is in the (famous Google) "beta" verision, but they really need to make it is smooth operating as my Garmin if they really want it to be successful. "Non-Geeks" do not like fooling with the stuff, they just want it to work.

Last edited:

scottl

Reaction score
Same problem today, driving from Tampa to Orlando.

The wife was not impressed.

:icon_eek:

I thought it might have to do with the fact that it was cloudy and raining, but seeing that others are having problems in different locations, maybe it is the satalite.

The Garmin worked fine, but the DROID is much better at finding new roads and newer construction....usually.

ValkF6

Reaction score
Neither my wife's nor my Droid picked up any satellites this morning until around 9:30 when they picked up eight. GPS Status and GPStest showed no sats. The WeatherBug thought I was in Ontario and at 13 degrees, I was glad I wasn't.

... Tom