Problem: Sync'ing with Non-Gmail Email accounts

Maxbender

Reaction score
email problems are real..

This a frequent problem across all the boards. I have a Comcast email account as well as one at work. The work one is not "exchange". The Comcast is set up as a POP and the Work is IMAP.

The work email started failing (error message) and moved it over to POP account from IMAP. I was frequently getting the spinning connection and was frequently having to re-boot the phone. Also, I get old emails occasionally and if I delete current ones they come back. I have since switched back to IMAP but limited it to my "in-box" only thinking the shear volume of the other accounts was some how bogging it down.

I have seen a lot of back and forth between technical folks trying to solve this problem and they seem to act like there is a workable solution if the user could only just explain to them what they are doing. In my opinion this is not necessarily a user problem and its android software related. That is not to say that the Droid is not always working right, it just appears that it can't handle all protocols the same. For example, gmail seems to work flawless.

Certain attachments appear to throw the email into fits as well. Again, phantom notifications are happening. I have tried every conceivable set-up (there are only so many settings options for email) and I still experience issues.

I do think that Verizon is aware of the issues (surely they must be and I think they are getting a lot of returned phones from frustrated folks). I am confident they are working with Motorola and presumably Android developers to come up with a fix. This product was clearly pushed out a little fast - but that is the world we live in now with technology related gadgets. I have two days to decide if I want to give up and return the phone or hope for a work around. Being a long time Verizon customer I was as a lot of customers glad to have a real choice besides the boring Blackberry and I never really bought into the whole Iphone thing. Its coming from the Blackberry that has fantastic email capability to something that is not so smooth and marginal at best that is causing me some grief.

If I do give it up, I will be watching the evolution and will buy it back or its successor in a heart beat once I can rely on email - not asking for perfection but come on...

Tahoe

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Comcast email account and I HOPE that Motorola can get this fixed.

My email works, then it shows the little spinning thing saying it's loading messages. I finally deleted all my messages from the Comcast server, yet this continues and I can not receive new messages until I turn the phone off and turn it back on again.

This only lasts a couple of hours though before the little thing in the right hand corner is spinning again telling me it's loading messages. Sometimes it loads duplicates and triplicates of emails I have already deleted. HELP! I am tired of turning my phone on and off to get email.

PLEASE MOTOROLA - GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED WITH COMCAST EMAIL.

etbllc

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Comcast email account and I HOPE that Motorola can get this fixed.

My email works, then it shows the little spinning thing saying it's loading messages. I finally deleted all my messages from the Comcast server, yet this continues and I can not receive new messages until I turn the phone off and turn it back on again.

This only lasts a couple of hours though before the little thing in the right hand corner is spinning again telling me it's loading messages. Sometimes it loads duplicates and triplicates of emails I have already deleted. HELP! I am tired of turning my phone on and off to get email.

PLEASE MOTOROLA - GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED WITH COMCAST EMAIL.
Same problem(s)!!

I have to do a physical shutdown to get Comcast e-mails.

Perhaps Comcast can suggest other settings other than 995 for incoming and 465 for outgoing? What about SSL? On or off?

I delete my mac mail on the Droid and they reload again (aargh).

These are definitely quirks that are unacceptable. iPhone never did this and neither did BBerry.

etbllc

Reaction score
Called Comcast---definitely a junior tech rep.

Had no idea what SSL stands for.

She said to use 110 incoming and 587 outgoing. Didn't help.

Tahoe

Reaction score
So how do we get the Motorola folks to read this thread and fix this email problem? How can they possibly sell a high end phone when the only email that works is Gmail? My phone right now is doing it's usual - saying it's loading messages while the little twirly thing in the corner is going in circles. Time for me to pull the battery or turn the phone off again. RIDICULOUS & ANNOYING! Maybe I should have bought an iPhone...

cookieluvr

Reaction score
I got my hotmail account to sync but can't get the yahoo account set up. Does anyone have an idea how to do that? Thanks.

cookieluvr

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have searched first. I see that you can't set up Yahoo on the Droid. That's okay, I love this phone and that isn't a big enough problem to get me to give it back!!

mk6

Reaction score
Comcast e-mail problem

I have the same issue, 2 POP3 accts, one is a comcast and I cannot get my phone to reliably download e-mail without pulling the battery two to three times per day. Verizon told me the phone works fine if I can retrieve my e-mails at all. I told her (level 2 tech) to go buy a car that requires she pull the battery out a couple of times a day - no response. Motorola blamed Outlook, no help at all. I have already swapped for a new Droid and done several hard resets. Are there other e-mail clients we can use - tried K2, didn't work. How do we get this fixed - very frustrating - I'm on Droid Froum instead of working.

treo700w

Reaction score
based on all of these comments on this forum and others (i.e. motorola forum) the inability to access non-gmail email accounts is a motorola droid and/or google android and/or verizon issue.

i hope we will get a satisfactory solution to this soon. forwarding my non-gmail emails to gmail to get them is not a satisfactory solution.

:mad:

jdp

Reaction score
cox.net non-sync

Im having the same problem with my Droid not picking up my emails from my cox.net account. It worked fine until 2 days ago. I can send emails from this account on my Droid, but it will not receive them. But heres the kicker. I sent a test email from my desktop and then immediatly checked my phone to see if it picked it up. When I clicked the button to Load messages, it popped right up like it is supposed to, so I tried another one and this time I let my desktop receive it first. The Droid did NOT pick up this message at all and automatically deleted the previous one when I tried to refresh it.

It seems the phone will pick up emails from this account as long as my desktop does not get them first. Still wondering why they automatically delete previous emails when you check for new ones on the Droid. I have my Droid email frequencey check set to every 15 minutes, but its still not working. Anybody have any thing similar to this?

slammed

Reaction score
Last edited:

volito

Reaction score
based on all of these comments on this forum and others (i.e. motorola forum) the inability to access non-gmail email accounts is a motorola droid and/or google android and/or verizon issue.

i hope we will get a satisfactory solution to this soon. forwarding my non-gmail emails to gmail to get them is not a satisfactory solution.

:mad:

AGREE but forwarding or letting GMAIL access email servers still don't work. I tried that and still having same problems as Every One else.

MY issues are from beginning of phone purchase 20 days ago "Verizon, Google , Motorlola" better be careful with this issue as most droid users are coming from Blackberries" and use to great email feature....

anyway here is my issue with DROID email- droid does not seem to check for emails no matter what I set it to 5, 10 ,15 min.... Every time I open Email client there is nothing and have to manually check via load more mesages..
Now if I check it often it'll work but once server gets packed with emails say 20 or above then DROID starts going into connection error or searching for ever...

I tried letting GMAIL account fetch my emails from server and still problems....

I also hope they fix this soon it can get annoying...
I have confidence in the three and will wait it out as DROID is an assume phone....

jdp

Reaction score
update

Heres and update on what Ive found. My personal email account (POP3) is thru Cox using Outlook Express. I found that I did not have the "save messages on my server" button checked on my existing Outlook account. After checking this and setting it to hold messages for 5 days, it seems that my Droid is functioning properly.

On a side note: does anyone know if the Droid is configured to ONLY use port 995 for incoming mail under settings and requires SSL to be checked? The cox rep told me they recommended using port 110 with NO SSL setting, but when I tried it it would not work on the Droid. I changed it back to 995 with SSL and its working now so we will see!

Fullenwider

Reaction score
Since I access only personal emails on my Droid my solution is to wean myself off my Hotmail account I've had since 1993 and make Gmail my primary email.

I think its a marketing conspiracy.

droid123

Reaction score
I was able to sync my yahoo account to the verizon droid simply by upgrading my yahoo account to a YahooPlus account - $19.99/yr
works fine