Probably a dumb question:

skiahh

Reaction score
Up until now, I've just used a phone as a phone. Decided to jump in with both feet and get a Droid and see if it's something I'll get used to.

Prior to this, with just phones, I've not texted... even went so far as to disable texting. Now, I can figure out how to text easily enough if I enable texting and get a package, but my question is this: Can you text on the Droid without having Verizon texting on and paying a monthly texting fee?

Yeah, I know... dumb question, but what can I say?

TomN

Reaction score
Yes you can, however, you will be paying a per-text charge. Not sure what it is but it will add up.

bacalao

Reaction score
ten cents per text at verizon, adds up fast.
It's so whack that they put a limit on text message characters, and it costs them nearly nothing to send a text. It is what it is.

FoFa

Reaction score
Verizon made me take the data package, which also contained unlimited messaging.
Don't really see much point of a phone like the Droid without the data package.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Unlimited Data Is Not Unlimited Texting

I have 200 Text Messages a month for $5 bucks a month with Verizon. This isn't for me, but for the people who Text me (as you have to pay for both incoming and outgoing).

At any rate, I'm old and never hopped onto the Text bandwagon--but do have the $5 bucks a month so I don't have to pay more for the folks who send me stuff.

To answer your question and reiterate what Bacalao said above, it's 10-cents per Text either incoming or outgoing. If you don't have too many people Texting you, then just leave things as-is and you'll be able to handle 49 Texts a month and save some money on the monthly bill.

- Mega

OP
S

skiahh

Reaction score
ok... just to be clear, there's no Droid app or bypass that'll let me text without going through Verizon and paying either the monthly or per-message charge, right?

soyboy

Reaction score
Well....you can email, not really the same as texting but it gets the job done. I do it with my daughter and another friend and it works our fine. You just don't get the instant back and forth that you get with true texting, but it's still pretty good for quick communication.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
ok... just to be clear, there's no Droid app or bypass that'll let me text without going through Verizon and paying either the monthly or per-message charge, right?

Google Voice (GV) is supposed to let you do this, however, seems to be limited or not working right now as it's in Beta and Verizon may have limited what you can / can't do.

Not to complicate things--correct--Text is separate from Voice & Data in Verizon's eyes right now. Just like GPS was for the last few years even though phones had it natively...

- Mega