Messanger

dcook12

Reaction score
I am getting to like Handcent. I still have the installed google regular messaging widget that came with my phone. This is probably a dumb question. But of course I get the same text twice. Since this seems to be a part of the google bundle of installed apps, can I uninstall it without worry??? Wouldn't ask this if it wasn't preinstalled and if Handcent for some reason gets on my nerves.....just wondering about the preinstalled google stuff and am reluctant to delete anything that came with the phone...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all! Open the stock messaging and hit menu, settings, and uncheck notifications. That should do it.

I am getting to like Handcent. I still have the installed google regular messaging widget that came with my phone. This is probably a dumb question. But of course I get the same text twice. Since this seems to be a part of the google bundle of installed apps, can I uninstall it without worry??? Wouldn't ask this if it wasn't preinstalled and if Handcent for some reason gets on my nerves.....just wondering about the preinstalled google stuff and am reluctant to delete anything that came with the phone...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score
Thanks DD!!! That was too easy!!! And for saying it wasn't a dumb question even tho it was:(

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks DD!!! That was too easy!!! And for saying it wasn't a dumb question even tho it was:(

No problem! It wasn't...if no one asked, no one would know, you know?

warrior21

Reaction score
Trust me that wasn't a dumb question at all. Every one of us has been there, and that is why we are all on here to help each other out.

Last edited:

matthelm6

Reaction score
Same Thing

Heck its a great question because I was about to ask the same one. Thanks for beating me to it.

OP
dcook12

dcook12

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!! Guess the old adage, no question is a stupid question is true in this forum...This is the most comfortable forum I have ever been in thanks to everyone in here!!!! Also kudos as was in another post for the pros that volunteer their time to help as well as non pros who are sharing what they have learned :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!! Guess the old adage, no question is a stupid question is true in this forum...This is the most comfortable forum I have ever been in thanks to everyone in here!!!! Also kudos as was in another post for the pros that volunteer their time to help as well as non pros who are sharing what they have learned :)

That's why we're all here, to learn and share! Never hesitate to ask a question here, we're here to help!

Blakely

Reaction score
I too just installed Handcent and had the same question. Thanks for asking and for the help!

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
It hasn't been pointed out yet in this thread so I'll toss it out there. Don't go uninstalling the stock Messaging app because most third party messaging clients share part of the stock Messaging's API...meaning they won't work properly if Messaging.apk is missing.