PRO Powering down at random

maverick17

Reaction score
regularly powers down

Mine does it about once a day, even after update last week. Hasn't caused me any problems but quite annoying.

tonyfodel

Reaction score
Mine has done it a total of 3 times now. It is only a problem when in a situation that requires silence and the annoying "Droid" boot logo sounds despite the phone being on silent prior to the reboot.

bjwheeler

Reaction score
Mine did this a couple of days ago. It was sitting on my desk not being used and I heard the Droid sound so I knew it rebooted. I didn't think much of it. I actually thought Verizon might have been pushing a software update and then it rebooted. I'm glad I'm not experiencing as many reboots as some people are reporting here.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

jlag

Reaction score
My Pro had the same issue, several times a day.

This is a problem that quite a few people that I have talked to have had with the Pro.

I noticed that it didn't happen when it was connected to the charger.
Perhaps the supervisor circuit is too sensitive and powering down the phone I imagine.

I just exchanged it for a new one and the problem is GONE!

The phone shouldn't shut off or restart at random, just exchange it.

I am now VERY HAPPY with the Pro :)

sailor_james

Reaction score
My first Pro would reboot every 15 minutes unless it was being charged or if I was actually using it. My guess was the phone may have been trying to go into a sleep mode (or something like that) and crashed. But that may not be correct as it rebooted several times during calls.

I exchanged it for a new Pro and have not had any problems - but I am worried to do the update.

jlag

Reaction score
My first Pro would reboot every 15 minutes unless it was being charged or if I was actually using it. My guess was the phone may have been trying to go into a sleep mode (or something like that) and crashed. But that may not be correct as it rebooted several times during calls.

I exchanged it for a new Pro and have not had any problems - but I am worried to do the update.

I am pretty convinced that mine was a hardware problem as it happened just as frequently with a factory fresh reset on the device (and didn't occur when charging).

I have been running just fine since 25 November 2010 (the day I exchanged the Pro for a new one). I have been slowly adding stuff, am now rooted with many crazy applications and phone is performing just fine. Even getting 20+ hours out of the stock battery at times (avg 14).

Last edited:

jhumbo

Reaction score
I'm almost certain that you all are describing a completely different issue since you use the term "reboot", but I'll mention this just in case...

The other day, my phone's screen kept turning off and it appeared to be very random and it was driving me crazy. I'd turn the phone back on and it was fine, but then it would suddenly dim and turn off again. It turns out that I was accidentally covering the proximity detector with my finger (at the top of the phone above the "TO" of the MOTOROLA lettering). Since I have the "In Pocket Detection" setting enabled, the phone was turning off the screen.

Shri

Reaction score
Generally it only reboots when it freezes while trying to unlock the screen, but just sitting on my desk it just rebooted twice in the last 10 minutes (obvious because of the annoying DROID - which was pretty embarrassing in a meeting).

What to do?

jerryq2

Reaction score
reboot

Well i just deleated launcher pro which I love and the problem has stopped. I never had a problem before the recent update so i am not sure if that was the problem.

tonyfodel

Reaction score
I also deleted LauncherPro and the problem (as well as other problems involving freezing and trouble with the homescreen buttons) has stopped. Let's get down to the root of the problem. How many of you who are experiencing this problem have LauncherPro installed on your phone?

jlag

Reaction score
I also deleted LauncherPro and the problem (as well as other problems involving freezing and trouble with the homescreen buttons) has stopped. Let's get down to the root of the problem. How many of you who are experiencing this problem have LauncherPro installed on your phone?

Interesting, I have been running Launcher Pro (the purchased version) for over a month with no issues on my Pro. 5 columns, 5 rows, quite a few of the widgets, 3 docks and using the 3D drawer.

I don't mean to say this was/is not your problem, but just to let you know it CAN work.

tonyfodel

Reaction score

Interesting, I have been running Launcher Pro (the purchased version) for over a month with no issues on my Pro. 5 columns, 5 rows, quite a few of the widgets, 3 docks and using the 3D drawer.

I don't mean to say this was/is not your problem, but just to let you know it CAN work.

I understand. I planned to delete it for three days and see if it changed anything. For all I know, the problems could have stopped on their own and it only looked like LauncherPro was the problem. I'm attempting to figure out if any of the applications I have installed affect this problem. LauncherPro was my first idea simply because it affects so much of the phone with all of its permissions. Widgetsoid was my second idea.

Stay

Reaction score
I also have been using launcher pro (although I don't recall if the power down started before or after installation of LP) .

My Pro has only powered down four known times in the month and a half that I have owned it. Even if Launcher Pro is the cause, I will gladly keep it installed because having it is totally worth the occasional reset.

One more thing. A while back it was mentioned on this thread that the micro SD card could be the cause. I recently upgraded to an 8 GB from my 4 GB and the problem has persisted.

jetjim

Reaction score
Happened to mine twice. Once when I just got it....The second time was when I did an update the other day. VZ told me to do a factory reset, and it hasn't done it since. It's only been 3 days, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited: