Pricing info leaked for the HTC Thunderbolt and the Motorola XOOM

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
If that Xoom is $800, I am definitely getting the Eee Slider tablet... Motorola/Verizon can take a long walk on a short plank for that price... I'd spend $600 but not $800.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I do plan on getting that bionic so i definitely wouldn't buy the 3G/4G capable tablet anyway. If the price is that hight, Moto will definitely lose customers to other tablet brands.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I'm surprised nobody had pointed this out yet in this thread. The reason this is priced this way is most likely Google's/Motorola's faults. They clearly have an agreement in place (that only happens by Motorola paying Google off) with a Honeycomb exclusivity period and now Moto is trying to milk it for as much as they can. Google really screwed the pooch if they wanted Android tablets to take off big with Honeycomb. Android's success is clearly about diversity, options, and consumers being in control. An exclusive tablet being the only good Android tablet is the wrong way to get started.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
$800 for a 10 inch tablet... Someone help me.. I could get a REALLY nice laptop for less than that and wireless tether it to my phone for free (rooted). I just don't get the tablet hype.

This. For $799; looking at newegg.com; I can get myself a Core i5 based laptop with 4GB of RAM; 500GB of storage; and a discrete GeForce 425M graphics card; along with a 15.6" screen. Which would truly prove to be a much more versatile machine.

I think that ~$500 is the most i'd pay for a tablet.

UNC

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody had pointed this out yet in this thread. The reason this is priced this way is most likely Google's/Motorola's faults. They clearly have an agreement in place (that only happens by Motorola paying Google off) with a Honeycomb exclusivity period and now Moto is trying to milk it for as much as they can. Google really screwed the pooch if they wanted Android tablets to take off big with Honeycomb. Android's success is clearly about diversity, options, and consumers being in control. An exclusive tablet being the only good Android tablet is the wrong way to get started.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Android is open-source... you don't pay anything to get "exclusivity". AOSP...

GB is "exclusive" (as you would say) to the Nexus S, yet it is available for everything pretty much... the source code must be released.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

sb1831

Reaction score

GB is "exclusive" (as you would say) to the Nexus S, yet it is available for everything pretty much... the source code must be released.

And yet the Motorola Droid was the first world's first mass manufactured handset to Launch EXCLUSIVELY with 2.0 and the NexuxS will launch Exclusively with 2.3

You Really think that companies don't pay for the right to be first?

UNC

Reaction score

And yet the Motorola Droid was the first world's first mass manufactured handset to Launch EXCLUSIVELY with 2.0 and the NexuxS will launch Exclusively with 2.3

You Really think that companies don't pay for the right to be first?

No they don't pay... something has to be first, ya know Google has to test the OSs before they can release them...

If it was "pay-to-play" so to speak, android would NOT be open-source.

tribeguy1971

Reaction score
I can't believe noone has asked this question , but the price specs specify effective from 01/21/11 , yet neither the phone nor tablet has been released . Does anyone here know the release dates of the thunderbolt , Xoom , or more importantly the bionic ? I have to return yet another X due to constant random rebooting , I will be getting my 5th one , and the only reason I am continuing to get X's is because VZW has not one phone in their available lineup that compares . Anyone have that info , thanks ?!?!

UNC

Reaction score
I can't believe noone has asked this question , but the price specs specify effective from 01/21/11 , yet neither the phone nor tablet has been released . Does anyone here know the release dates of the thunderbolt , Xoom , or more importantly the bionic ? I have to return yet another X due to constant random rebooting , I will be getting my 5th one , and the only reason I am continuing to get X's is because VZW has not one phone in their available lineup that compares . Anyone have that info , thanks ?!?!

They go into effect for the devices on sale already.

Verizon does have 1 phone that compares, and I suspect its the reason why all the other phones are releasing later than originally thought... vPhone.

tribeguy1971

Reaction score
vPhone

Excuse my ignorance , but what is the vPhone , unless you meant the iPhone , and if that is in fact the case , I am not interested in rotten apples . . lol . Do you or anyone know the prospective release dates of the 'Bolt or Bionic ? For that matter , are there any phones coming down the pipeline with an HDMI out like the X and the screen size 4.3 or better ? Some people don't like the larger screen , but I use it everyday and LOVE IT !

UNC

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance , but what is the vPhone , unless you meant the iPhone , and if that is in fact the case , I am not interested in rotten apples . . lol . Do you or anyone know the prospective release dates of the 'Bolt or Bionic ? For that matter , are there any phones coming down the pipeline with an HDMI out like the X and the screen size 4.3 or better ? Some people don't like the larger screen , but I use it everyday and LOVE IT !

Yes, the vPhone is the Verizon iPhone.
No matter what you think of it, it is definitely (favorably) "comparable" to a DX.

Bionic is 4.3" and has HDMI out. My money is on it being released in late March or early April.

I'm pretty sure the Thunderbolt comes out late February.

Caesarg

Reaction score
Market Economics

No matter what is said if the average consumer (not an android geek) is willing to pay this then they will sell. I equate it to the ipad yes nice piece of gear but in reality no matter which model they are overpriced. But people who love all things Apple or just have to have the latest and greatest toy just had to have one. The only way tablets will come down in price is supply and demand. But if Apple keeps there prices as they typically do (macbooks two to three times higher than comparable pc based laptops), it may take quite some time for prices to come down. The first laptop i purchased was over $2000 (pc) I can get a comparable one now for about $500 but it took about 3years for the prices to come down to what they are now. So if you just have to have one now be prepared to pay a premium price.

As has been said you can get a decent laptop for the cost of these tablets. I personally use a desktop and a toshiba netbook (279.00 btw). But of course looking at all the tablets i just had to have one. I could not however justify paying even 400-500 for one. Hell i couldn't even figure out why i actually needed one. I also knew I did not want another phone contract.

Bottom line. Along comes the book color. Cheap enough $250 (same as what I paid for my og droid) and once rooted does all I want it to do. I did figure out what I would use it for. Email, web browsing, videos, reading excel docs and reading. Anything else I break out the netbook. There is no way this or IMO any tablet would take the place of a laptop or netbook with a real keyboard.

Damn sorry about being so long winded. Again this is all just my opinion. I have been known to be wrong just ask my wife.

Haloid95

Reaction score
Im not buying the tablet for that much. I could just buy a really nice laptop...

Bdragon007

Reaction score
A tablet for $799??? Too bad MOTO, you could've won me... Moving on, NEXT!!