Price jump in plans?

authentic1

Reaction score
Do you think it's worth it? I know this is a Droid foum, so most will probably say yes. I'm just curious, if you were in my shoes would you do this: I have an Alltel plan for our two Blackberries that runs $140 plus taxes. With that, I get My Circle, more minutes and earlier night and weekend times. I can switch to the Verizon plan (which apparently you have to do for the Droid), where I'll lose 200 minutes, lose My Circle, and have nights and weekends that don't start until 9. The Verizon plan will end up @ $160 plus taxes.

Is it worth it to switch plans, or would you just get the best phone on the Alltel network, in order to keep my better, cheaper plan? The Droid is so tempting, but it'll add about $250/yr to my plan. I wish Verizon wasn't so expensive. Also, just curious, those of you that have the iPhone on AT&T and are switching, are your rates there pretty similar to what you'll get at Verizon?

mchoffa

Reaction score
my account has 1400 minutes (or is it 1300, i can't remember)... I have 2 lines, with 500 text (unlimited between verizon) and I also get 10 friends and family numbers that I do not get charged to call outside the verizon network (so we really only end up using maybe 100 minutes/month)... my total bill comes to $123 after taxes right now, so I will be around $183 after taxes when I get the droids with data plans...

pretty sure the att iphone plane is right at the same amount

yes, to me it's worth is because i don't even have data right now... i won't be paying THAT much more to have a LOT more service

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon should be like $190 plus taxes.. the reason everybody does the circle plan is because everyone else is on verizon. but if you have verizon, all your verizon to verizon calls are free. that's why minutes don't matter as much (i have never used even half od mine, and i'm on the cheapest 450 minute plan) and also why they don't need a circle.

granted, it's also why they charge more..

*edit* after reading the one above, i must have a plan from before verizon did a circle :)

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that is a big increase for most people. I have two (wife & me) AT&T iPhones with 1400 minutes / unlimited text and pay about $175/month..

I have a Verizon account (currently suspended, awaiting this phone) and I paid about $115/month for unlimited data and I think about the same amount of minutes. I wasn't able to port my old VZ number to AT&T when I switched last year so just decided to keep it for a day like this :)

I'll be using both phones so should be able to give some good hands on comparisons between the iPhone and Droid..

marmst

Reaction score
I thought that you could keep your old grandfathered alltel plans. Usually in the verizon store they tell you that you have to update, but when you call the 800 number you should be good to go.

I know that when I was about to order the Imagio over the 800 number they said it wouldn't be a big deal (to stay on my grandfathered AllTel plan), same with the Storm 2. However, when I went into the Verizon store to demo they told me I had to switch to a Verizon plan, but when I informed them what the 800 number told me they said they could try. Guess it all depends who you talk to.

I pre-ordered at Best Buy, but if they give me any trouble I'm just gonna get my refund and order it through the 800 sales number and wait an extra 2-3 days.

OP
A

authentic1

Reaction score
Just found out, it looks like I qualify for educator discount, so it looks like this plan will end up being about the same as my old Alltel plan. Now, let's hope that the person on the phone is correct. The people that I talked to at the Verizon store last night, know I'm a teacher, and they didn't mention anything about the discount. Looks like I'm headed back tonight, to check on that.

marmst

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with VZW, they said you can have a Verizon phone on an AllTel plan, but CANNOT have an Alltel phone on a Verizon plan. You should be good to go with your AllTel plan, just insist on it.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
idk but the vzw plans cost hella mo than my t mo G1 plan. i got 2 lines unlimited everything and pay 160 a month. now they got the dark plans that is 20 cheaper! bot no droid in there plans and the droid whoops the cliqs head in all aspects. i love my G1 but droid is king

dlambert

Reaction score
Plan prices

I went shopping this weekend, and was all set to pre-order at Best Buy, but discovered that the family plan I wanted didn't include any free numbers. Between that and the extra $10 for the data plan, I was going to end up $30-40 more per month to switch from T-Mobile. Too much extra $$$ for me. I'll wait to see if Sholes comes to T-Mobile.

OP
A

authentic1

Reaction score
I called the 800 # and they said some of the apps wouldn't work w/Droid on the Alltel network. It appears Specific to the 3G network stuff. Either way, I just got ahold of my local Verizon store, and I qualify for 19% educator discount on plans and 25% on accessories, so that more than makes up for the jump in rates.

xjman349

Reaction score
Just found out, it looks like I qualify for educator discount, so it looks like this plan will end up being about the same as my old Alltel plan. Now, let's hope that the person on the phone is correct. The people that I talked to at the Verizon store last night, know I'm a teacher, and they didn't mention anything about the discount. Looks like I'm headed back tonight, to check on that.

In order for you to get the discount you need to go to verizonwireless.com/discounts and put in your email. It will get some more information for you and it will automatically add your discount to your line in 1-2 account cycles.

marmst

Reaction score
Yeah, the only things that wont work are the VZ Navigator/Rhapsody/TV. To my knowledge the only thing droid will have is the Rhapsody, so who cares, lol. I get my discount working for the state as well, and they apply it to my grandfathered alltel plan.

chiianna

Reaction score
Do you think it's worth it? I know this is a Droid foum, so most will probably say yes. I'm just curious, if you were in my shoes would you do this: I have an Alltel plan for our two Blackberries that runs $140 plus taxes. With that, I get My Circle, more minutes and earlier night and weekend times. I can switch to the Verizon plan (which apparently you have to do for the Droid), where I'll lose 200 minutes, lose My Circle, and have nights and weekends that don't start until 9. The Verizon plan will end up @ $160 plus taxes.

Is it worth it to switch plans, or would you just get the best phone on the Alltel network, in order to keep my better, cheaper plan? The Droid is so tempting, but it'll add about $250/yr to my plan. I wish Verizon wasn't so expensive. Also, just curious, those of you that have the iPhone on AT&T and are switching, are your rates there pretty similar to what you'll get at Verizon?

Verizon has their own version of a My Circle.

I would say that look at it from a network coverage, I know here in Chicago, T-Mobile and AT&T both have much weaker networks then Verizon. At work, we are actually getting rid of T-Mobile due to poor service. From a personal cell phone service, we switched a few years back even though the price was higher and haven't regretted it since.

As for the phone. It is worth it for me, although as an existing Smartphone user (with the Exchange feature turned on) I am not going to be paying any more then I currently am.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For PDA plans with verizon anything above the 450 minute plan has 5 "Friends & Family" numbers which is the same thing as mycircle.