Pre-rooted GB .573

kingpin6866

Reaction score
I installed the pre-rooted GB .573 ROM and this thing is lagging bigtime. Slow as hell and using a ton of memory. For whatever reason, my backup of Darkslide on Froyo will not install correctly, so looks like I'm stuck here for now.

How can I update to the .588 build and/or a better GB ROM to handle the memory/speed issues I've finding?

Thanks

andylulzyou

Reaction score
SBF back to 2.3.340

Root with z4

Download and install Droid2 Bootstrap (Do not use Droid X)

Download 3 part file from TBH on Mydroidworld for .588

Install.

Then you can install the Apex alpha if you are looking for a rom

OP
K

kingpin6866

Reaction score
SBF back to 2.3.340

Root with z4

Install.

Andy, thank you. Any links for SBF instructions? I've been pretty good tinkering with ROMS and backups, etc. but from what I've read SBF is a little more involved.

Thanks

andylulzyou

Reaction score
SBF back to 2.3.340

Root with z4

Install.

Andy, thank you. Any links for SBF instructions? I've been pretty good tinkering with ROMS and backups, etc. but from what I've read SBF is a little more involved.

Thanks

You are going to want to download RSD Lite and the full 2.3.340 Froyo SBF.

DROID X Swiss Army Knife Of Files

The latest version of RSD Lite is 4.9 but I have been using 4.8.. I doubt it matters. The SBF file is also contained on that page. Once you download the SBF place it on your desktop.

It should appear with a blank document icon and be titled "VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf" and be around 434 MB.

Next I recommend booting into clockwork and wiping data/cache. This isn't necessary but sometimes you will bootloop after SBF'ing and this will prevent that.

Then reboot your phone like normal from clockwork and just pull your battery when you are prompted to sign in. Plug your phone into USB port on computer while powered off. Also make sure you have full battery but at least 80%

Then boot into your bootloader by holding both volume buttons, camera, and power. Your screen will say

Bootloader

Battery OK
Ok to Program
etc.

Then open up RSD Lite and the index at the bottom you should see your device in the first slot. It will say Model S-Flash yadda yadda yadda. If you click on it your device information will appear under the device properties.

As long as RSD recognizes your device you are good. From there you are going to click the "..." button and it will open up your desktop folder and then you navigate to the 2.3.340 SBF File and select it. Once you select it all the information will appear under file properties.

Then just click start and allow it to do it's thing, sometimes the percentages will jump back and forth just be patient with it and it will reflash and reboot your phone for you.

Good luck

Reaction score
SBF back to 2.3.340

Root with z4

Install.

You also need to flash the NoBloat.root.deodexed file after you flash the first 3 files and reboot. At least that's what I had to do

Posted Using My Droid X running GB Rooted

OP
K

kingpin6866

Reaction score
Thanks folks, downloading the appropriate files/tools now and hopefully get back to where I need to be.

OP
K

kingpin6866

Reaction score
SBF to 2.3.340 worked perfectly.

Next question. How exactly do you install the 3 part gb? Install each one as "from.zip" file via recovery?

Reaction score
SBF to 2.3.340 worked perfectly.

Next question. How exactly do you install the 3 part gb? Install each one as "from.zip" file via recovery?

After you've done your factory resets, then you go into recovery mode and select install zip from sdcard. And then you flash each one in the proper order, without any reboots in between each file. Only reboot after you've installed all 3 files in order.

This is the instructions I followed. There from P3Droids post on MDW forums

1) SBF Back to 2.3.340 (Do Not try to Shortcut the Process and use an SBF in Update.zip Format)

2) If you Bootloop after SBF no Big Deal Just Battery Pull go into Stock Recovery and Factory Reset a few times. I recommend 3 or 4. (To get into 2.3.340 Stock Recovery Battery Pull if Bootlooping or Power Down if Booted, The Hold Power and Home Until the Droid Pops Up with the Exclamation Hit The Search Key and it will take you into Stock Recovery) EVEN IF YOU DON'T BOOTLOOP YOU SHOULD FACTORY RESET AS INSTRUCTED AT THIS STAGE OF THE INSTALLATION!!

3) I recommend having Droid 2 Bootstrap and z4root for the next step. Here is what I do. After the Factory Reset Boot Up I Activate the Phone but Skip Gmail Sign in. Goto Settings/Applications and Turn On Unknown Sources. Then goto Settings/Applications/Development and Turn on USB Debugging. After this I goto the Files App in the App Drawer and Navigate to Where I have these Apps Stored On My SD Card. I install BootStrap first then z4Root the reason is I can click Open on z4Root once install is complete and go Straight to rooting. z4Root will Run and the phone will reboot.

4) Once the Phone is rebooted goto the App Drawer and Straight to Droid 2 Bootstrap and Bootstrap Recovery and Flash the 3 Stage Process per P3Droid's OP instructions. Once the 3 Stage Process is COMPLETE Reboot Your Phone and Once Your phone is rebooted Power in Down and Go into Stock Recovery again. (The Only Difference is to get into Stock Recovery is instead of search hit the Volume Buttons.) Okay No time to Factory Reset a few more times. 3 or 4 same as I said before. This is the point to let your apps restore.

5) Now once you have done you Factory Resets Install Droid 2 Boot Strap and Flash the File Below.

http://www.multiupload.com/W2S6E6BBAH

Last edited:
OP
K

kingpin6866

Reaction score
Thanks for the patient explanation. Worked like a charm.

Reaction score
Thanks for the patient explanation. Worked like a charm.

That's what were here for. This is one of the nicest, most helpful forums I've ever been a part of. Too many tech forums have people who think they are better then everyone and make people that our new feel stupid for asking questions. But not this place. If it wasn't fo this forum (as well as MDW) I wouldn't kno crap about modding/hacking the android system.

zero7404

Reaction score
You also need to flash the NoBloat.root.deodexed file after you flash the first 3 files and reboot. At least that's what I had to do

why did you have to do this ? experienced problems after loading up the 3 files ?

i used 573, didn't like it. 588 feels better on the device.

Reaction score
Those were just the instructions I was given. After flashing the first three files, it only installed gb, it wasn't rooted or deodexed, but after flashing the 4th file it was. These our the instructions from P3droid from the original thread that he posted the download on.

zero7404

Reaction score
Those were just the instructions I was given. After flashing the first three files, it only installed gb, it wasn't rooted or deodexed, but after flashing the 4th file it was. These our the instructions from P3droid from the original thread that he posted the download on.

something odd ... after i installed the 3 files i was rooted.
what exactly is the 3 file method, a patch framework or a complete overwrite of 2.3.340 with 4.5.588 ?
if it's a patch job, then it makes sense that the new platform is rooted because my old one was ... if it's a complete overwrite, then i'm curious why mine is rooted from the beginning ... i didn't use gingerbreak or any other root methods/apps.

Reaction score

something odd ... after i installed the 3 files i was rooted.
what exactly is the 3 file method, a patch framework or a complete overwrite of 2.3.340 with 4.5.588 ?
if it's a patch job, then it makes sense that the new platform is rooted because my old one was ... if it's a complete overwrite, then i'm curious why mine is rooted from the beginning ... i didn't use gingerbreak or any other root methods/apps.

I have no idea. Those were just the instructions I was given so I followed them, and they worked perfect and GB is rooted/deodexed and running super smooth on my DX. I love it. Especially with the Juiced theme I just installed. Can't wait to try some Custom GB ROMs

zero7404

Reaction score
i did notice something on gb that i'm not sure about ... when the phone starts, the phone signal and 3G indicators are white, then they turn blue.

anyone know what the 2 colors mean ?