Pre-ordered Verizon Droid this past Saturday

96BeaSSt

Reaction score
I will be moving from the BB8830 (Sprint) to the Droid on Friday. Although I really have enjoyed my time with the BlackBerry, not so much with Sprint, my company has not and will not fund my BlackBerry plan. Though they did pay for my CAL on the BES, I have been wanting to get a cheaper plan on a phone that integrates almost as well with Exchange as the BlackBerry on a BES. I was initially going to give it a few weeks before I purchased the Droid, but after dealing with yet another string of dropped calls this past weekend, I had had enough and paid a visit to Best Buy.

Here are a few things I wish would come with the phone:

• Carrying Case; I never understood why some manufacturers do not include even a cheap one.
  • Travel Charger; it makes more sense that if you are only including ONE charger, make it one that can be used at home and in the car.
  • Clear Shield; this might be pushing it, but I think all phones (especially non-flip) should come with these
So, it looks like I will be buying the phone, a carrying case, and clear shield at a minimum this Friday.

Other thoughts, mostly based on the fact that I work in Information Security...

• What type of encryption methods are available for use within Android? http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...n-digital-certificates-device-encryption.html
    • Can I use digital signatures for signing and encrypting corporate emails?
    • Is there a device encryption available?
    • Can I encrypt the flash card?
  • I have read that the Android OS is relatively open and that Verizon has assumed the stance that they will not be altering the functionality of the phone, but Verizon's history shows otherwise.
    • Can it be tethered?
    • Can I install ANY application, even those not available through the store?
  • Some may already have answers to this based on their previous experience with Android, but what is Android's patching policy? How quickly do they respond to bug fix requests, vulnerabilities, and failures?
I think that's about it for me. I am looking forward to getting more acquainted with this forum and the device soon, and I'm already developing a list of applications to use, with the help of a co-worker who has the HTC Hero. Hopefully the SSH client works better on this device than on my BB8830 or PPC6700.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Can it be tethered? Not at this time, verizon is working on the programs to get that operational. Shouldn't be long.
2. Can you install any program? As long as it's compatible with the system then yes. Unlike apple, google doesn't make you go through an application process. Apple makes you get all your apps through the app store if I remember correctly.

I do agree with you that they should come with at least a cheap case, but I'm not one to really argue either so i'll take it how it is for now.

Seeing as the new standard for cell phone chargers is micro-usb, i don't think you will be having an issue much anymore with that. Once you have a travel charger, it will be universal with all other phones.

OP

96BeaSSt

Reaction score
Thanks for the update... I'm currently adding links for my other threads to the first post.

OP

96BeaSSt

Reaction score
Just got a phone call from Best Buy that my new phone is in, but the guy told me they received two versions, one is a touch screen and the other just has a slide out keyboard. I'm hoping he's not looking at different sides of the same box...

Anyway, they're open until 10:00 pm, so I'll swing by after my standing Thursday night date with my wife.