Power Button

Durandgir

Reaction score
No problem! How is the droid pro? i've always wondered if it was good I remember wanting it when it came out because it had a better keyboard. and will do! I really hope it doesn't sink in again it's bad enough 3 of my droids have done it already

angelbabii25

Reaction score
the droid pro is ok, still getting used to. Its definitely way different, i love the keyboard, but cannot stand the virtual one its kinda in the way when you want to text because both keyboards come up. The screen is smaller if not the same size. but the amount if memory on here is amazing! Over all, its an alright phone. lol

neoterixx64

Reaction score
I am not sure if I am losing my mind, but my power button has drastically changed. It is a little more depressed in and it takes a little more work to get to it.

The phone is naked so no case- anyone else experience this type of problem on this forum?

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
I, and a lot of other people out there, experienced this on the OG Droid. I haven't paid any attention to this problem with other phones, so I'll mention what it was with that one-

Moto used a piece of foam underneath the power button to act as a spring. Over time it degraded to where it was just about non-existent and really made pushing the button a PITA. What I did was, I cracked the case apart (well, disassembled) and looked into the retaining area. I had some rubbery disposable earplugs that were about to get thrown away, and I cut strips out of the rubber that were the size of what the foam should have been. Presto! Button was back and actually had a better feel than it did stock... kinda like doing a trigger job on your favorite rifle :)

Of course, this is a new phone so I don't know if this should be the case already, but the power button does get a hell of a lot of use if you think about it. I've never taken this phone apart so I'm not sure if it's the same material used for this power button or not. This probably wasn't helpful at all actually lol... but hey, I feel better now that I said something

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I, and a lot of other people out there, experienced this on the OG Droid. I haven't paid any attention to this problem with other phones, so I'll mention what it was with that one-

Moto used a piece of foam underneath the power button to act as a spring. Over time it degraded to where it was just about non-existent and really made pushing the button a PITA. What I did was, I cracked the case apart (well, disassembled) and looked into the retaining area. I had some rubbery disposable earplugs that were about to get thrown away, and I cut strips out of the rubber that were the size of what the foam should have been. Presto! Button was back and actually had a better feel than it did stock... kinda like doing a trigger job on your favorite rifle :)

Of course, this is a new phone so I don't know if this should be the case already, but the power button does get a hell of a lot of use if you think about it. I've never taken this phone apart so I'm not sure if it's the same material used for this power button or not. This probably wasn't helpful at all actually lol... but hey, I feel better now that I said something

Nice work, nice explanation and great save on the OG. I also saw that tiny swatch of foam/spring in the OG and thought it was hilarious. On the RAZR though, the button is self-contained, so the "spring", of whatever material it's made, is inside the tiny surface mount switch module, from what I can see. These switch modules are visible in pics I'll post later.

Edit: pics!! Click on the images to view in full resolution!

lZHxKIaeOaXYNQWH.jpgButtons.png

The first image is the entire motherboard of our beloved RAZR/MAXX. Some points of interest...
  1. Top left corner are two silver screw posts with yellow rings around them, they are the battery contacts.
  2. Just to the left and slightly below, next to the Orange circle is one of the moisture sensors. You'll see a White square with 3 Red Xs. If the White square is instead Red or Pink, and the 3 Red Xs are essentially gone, it's been wet and the warranty is shot.
  3. Bottom left is an elongated silver device, oriented vertically, that's the vibration motor. The motor is in the middle, and on the shaft protruding out either end at top and bottom are off-center weights which when spinning cause centrifugal force to create vibration similar to an out of balance car wheel.
  4. Just to the right are two silver devices. These are first on the left is the SD Card slot, and to the right is the SIM slot.
  5. Far right and just above the bottom corner are two slightly offset opposing contacts with gold tabs, these are the rear speaker contacts.
  6. Just above and to the right edge is the Micro HDMI connector.
  7. Above that is the Micro USB connector.
  8. To the left of the connectors is the elongated rectangular earpiece speaker, which strangely enough is mounted to the back of the board, but the sound travels to the front slot where your ear is through a elongated "keyhole" (slot with a circular end), cut into the board and visible in the center of the speaker. You'll also notice that the "speaker cone" is actually a piece of flat clear plastic and that a portion is still visible on the top left corner of the speaker, though this person who did the tear-down, took "tear" literally as he tore the speaker cone almost completely off.
  9. The large round and square holes above in the board are for the flash bulb (actually an LED) and front facing camera (round hole), and the rear-facing camera (large square hole).
  10. Just to the left of those holes are three rectangular "ZIF" (Zero Insertion Force) connectors for the Rear facing camera, Flash, and Front facing camera ribbon cables.
  11. On the left, toward the center and just below the Blue highlighted chip are three small connectors, the long rectangular one and the two smaller square ones, which are snap connectors for the Digitizer and SAMOLED display ribbon cables.
  1. On the second image, you are looking at the edge with the power and volume buttons as if you were looking at the back of the phone with buttons on top. The right button is the power button, the two on the left are up and down volumes.
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
While we're on the power button subject, I've been noticing a new phenomenon with mine in the past few days, which is kind of a "double tap" behavior. I'll press it to get the screen to turn on, but it's as if it senses two quick presses, because the screen will blink on and then blink right off again very quickly. It only happens once in a while, maybe one out of fifty button presses. I have yet to determine if it's just me giving a sloppy/double press to the button, or if it's the button itself. Anyone else encounter this?

rosariorose9

Reaction score
While we're on the power button subject, I've been noticing a new phenomenon with mine in the past few days, which is kind of a "double tap" behavior. I'll press it to get the screen to turn on, but it's as if it senses two quick presses, because the screen will blink on and then blink right off again very quickly. It only happens once in a while, maybe one out of fifty button presses. I have yet to determine if it's just me giving a sloppy/double press to the button, or if it's the button itself. Anyone else encounter this?

I've experienced it as well. Glad to hear that I'm not alone...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The double press "quick flash" of the screen seems to be more common as well, and since the .181 update. Nobody has identified the cause. I see it happen sometimes too.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
The double press "quick flash" of the screen seems to be more common as well, and since the .181 update. Nobody has identified the cause. I see it happen sometimes too.

Well, at least this makes it seem more likely an OS issue than a hardware issue, which was my greater fear. Whew, I guess? :biggrin:

mattman5000

Reaction score
I also notice the double tap, but only when turning the screen off. I'll press the button, then screen will go black, then immediately come back on (at the lock screen).