potential noob LTE question

flyinion

Reaction score
Is LTE on the Nexus for data only? Or does Verizon send voice over it as well? I've been doing some Googling and all I can find is Verizon was testing VOIP over LTE and then some other articles that right now LTE networks fall back to 2G/3G for voice calls. Basically I'm trying to find out if I lose anything other than data speed by turning off 4G when I don't need insane data speeds.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not a noob question, I'd like some clarification on this as well:)

To my understanding, 4g LTE is only for data right now. VOIP is something I'm not familiar with, but regular calls go back to 2g/3g.

prowler85

Reaction score
Yes, 4g is for data only. When you get a call, it uses 2g/3g, thus you can talk and surf at the same time. Don't know about VOIP, but I would assume it would use 4g which would eliminate surfing while talking (on skype for instance). But I've been surfing many times and taken a call and just kept on surfin'.

Take that, AT&T!:p

And yes, you can turn off 4g, and it won't affect calls in the least. Though if you are surfing, and take a call with 4g turned off, you will not have a data connection.

The ONLY reason I would turn off 4g however is if I was in a border area and the constant searching for 4g was killing battery. If you are in a strong 4g area, no reason to turn it off, as it would only drain battery when you are using 4g (since it wouldn't need to be searching for a 4g signal). If in an area with no 4g, I guess I'd turn it off as well since it wouldn't be doing anything anyway and would probably keep searching as well.

Last edited:

Jamar

Reaction score
WAIT A MIN... HOLD THE PHONE!! (quite literally as I am currently holding my phone...) I can use voice & data simultaneously now??

WOOHOO 4G!!

OP
flyinion

flyinion

Reaction score
Yes, 4g is for data only. When you get a call, it uses 2g/3g, thus you can talk and surf at the same time. Don't know about VOIP, but I would assume it would use 4g which would eliminate surfing while talking (on skype for instance). But I've been surfing many times and taken a call and just kept on surfin'.

Take that, AT&T!:p

And yes, you can turn off 4g, and it won't affect calls in the least. Though if you are surfing, and take a call with 4g turned off, you will not have a data connection.

The ONLY reason I would turn off 4g however is if I was in a border area and the constant searching for 4g was killing battery. If you are in a strong 4g area, no reason to turn it off, as it would only drain battery when you are using 4g (since it wouldn't need to be searching for a 4g signal). If in an area with no 4g, I guess I'd turn it off as well since it wouldn't be doing anything anyway and would probably keep searching as well.

Thanks for the info. I was debating turning it off to see if I saw any battery savings (I think I get decent 4g, 1-3 bars usually 2, and rarely drops totally). Someone else in the office told me they thought LTE was for calls as well so I'd lose some new enhanced calling quality if I shut it off. Sounds like that is not the case though.