possible water damage

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since its supposed to resistant to water with the nano coating...I see warranty claim...not fraud by any means.

sent from a RAZR on mah Harley.
Water damage is water damage. If you take it into the bathroom and you take a shower the moisture in the air can also ruin the phone. That is also an insurance claim and not a warranty issue.

Parzec

Reaction score
Water damage is water damage. If you take it into the bathroom and you take a shower the moisture in the air can also ruin the phone. That is also an insurance claim and not a warranty issue.

The backs actually come off very easy with some gentle prying.

As for the water damage, if you have insurance it doesn't matter what you did to it you just have to pay the deductible to get a replacement. Because otherwise if you're talking about taking it back to Verizon as a warranty, you are talking about fraud . Anybody who breaks their phone should have the integrity, accountability, and responsibility to not go looking for a free phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

I was starting to agree with these arguments but you lost me here. What if you go from your cold airconditioned home and step outside into hot humid air and the phone suddenly stops working? Would you be prohibited from making a warranty claim for actions that fall under normal use? Similarly, a minor spill on a phone (inside a pocket) sold as water resistant seems to be within normal use of such a phone. Nevertheless, very few if us, and I assume the OP, are Engineers that are experts in phone failure causation. Perhaps it is mere coincidence that the OPs phone failed after the minor spill and there was actually a latent defect in manufacture. Nothing wrong or immoral with sending in a phone for warranty failure and leaving it to the trained experts to determine the true cause of death.

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx from Droid Forums

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score
I was starting to agree with these arguments but you lost me here. What if you go from your cold airconditioned home and step outside into hot humid air and the phone suddenly stops working? Would you be prohibited from making a warranty claim for actions that fall under normal use? Similarly, a minor spill on a phone (inside a pocket) sold as water resistant seems to be within normal use of such a phone. Nevertheless, very few if us, and I assume the OP, are Engineers that are experts in phone failure causation. Perhaps it is mere coincidence that the OPs phone failed after the minor spill and there was actually a latent defect in manufacture. Nothing wrong or immoral with sending in a phone for warranty failure and leaving it to the trained experts to determine the true cause of death.

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx from Droid Forums

Wrong u think the phone just happened to malfunction after having water spilled on it? Lol... If u send it in u will be charged if it has water damage. Just because it has this imaginary nano coating does not do anything to the warranty it says water resistant NOT WATERPROOF. And it being water resistant does not extend the warranty in any way through water damage and u say u only spilled a lil there is no way to prove that so if ur feeling lucky send it in but u better have the 650$ on hand if it gets denied they will auto bill u and there is no way getting the device u sent in back

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
kparks said:
Wrong u think the phone just happened to malfunction after having water spilled on it? Lol... If u send it in u will be charged if it has water damage. Just because it has this imaginary nano coating does not do anything to the warranty it says water resistant NOT WATERPROOF. And it being water resistant does not extend the warranty in any way through water damage and u say u only spilled a lil there is no way to prove that so if ur feeling lucky send it in but u better have the 650$ on hand if it gets denied they will auto bill u and there is no way getting the device u sent in back

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Its already been 2 weeks since I sent back my wife's gnex. So we'll see if they auto bill me. I haven't seen anything yet.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Chukee

Reaction score
It took verizon months before they charged my account for a phone i turned in. Quickly got it taken off but dont feel to safe if its been only two weeks. In my case they sent a txt before they hit my account with the charge. Whatever department receives these phones are slow as snails when it comes to opening up the boxes to check out the phones.

Last edited:

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
Chukee said:
It took verizon months before they charged my account for a phone i turned in. Quickly got it taken off but dont feel to safe if its been only two weeks. In my case they sent a txt before they hit my account with the charge. Whatever department receives these phones are slow as snails when it comes to opening up the boxes to check out the phones.

I usually get a text in a week or so. So maybe they did catch on but I am not going to pay if they charge my account for retail. I'll just tell them to send the phone back to me and I'll buy a phone on Craigslist. But thanks for the heads up. Hopefully everything goes well. When you looked at the phone you couldn't tell there wasn't any water damage to it. I let it dry out for 3 days. So I dunno.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

ultra09hd

Reaction score
OK...simple. take it back and get a new one. If they charge you for new one, argue the marketing of the ' nano coating'. If they still denied, contact bbb for help, still denied, call lawyer and sue for false advertising.

It should be able to withstand a cup on the pocket from what all hype is about the freaking nano thingy. Love how so many people cry about fraud and false claims. What you people think they'd do? They will try to cover their ass...you should try to cover yours.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK...simple. take it back and get a new one. If they charge you for new one, argue the marketing of the ' nano coating'. If they still denied, contact bbb for help, still denied, call lawyer and sue for false advertising.

It should be able to withstand a cup on the pocket from what all hype is about the freaking nano thingy. Love how so many people cry about fraud and false claims. What you people think they'd do? They will try to cover their ass...you should try to cover yours.

Maybe you should offer to pay the legal costs on this one. Serious? I am in the insurance industry. Do you know why your rates keep going up every year? Yup, a good chunk is because of fraudulent insurance claims.

OP
D

dropzone

Reaction score
Well my new phone arrives tomorrow. So after reading these post, Talking to Friends and family, and speaking to verizon about how this will all go down I have decided the risk is as follows.

1)Send in phone, verizon sees no problem and I get a new phone at zero dollars (awesome)
2)send in phone, verizon detects water damage some way that I dont know about, charges me 600+(hold crap)
3)call insurance and claim water damage, Pay deductable of 99 bucks and get a new phone.

Odds are verizon would not be able to tell. Based on my inspection and higher then average knowledge of electronics and circuitry I think it would fly, but based on the small deductable and knowing there is no chance for me to be screwed i think i'll just file the insurance claim and be done with it. Im to old to be sitting around worrying about this kinda stuff and pulling scams. big red is one big rip off so i would not feel bad in the least but its just not worth the hassle IMO. thanks to all for your comments.

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score
dropzone said:
Well my new phone arrives tomorrow. So after reading these post, Talking to Friends and family, and speaking to verizon about how this will all go down I have decided the risk is as follows.

1)Send in phone, verizon sees no problem and I get a new phone at zero dollars (awesome)
2)send in phone, verizon detects water damage some way that I dont know about, charges me 600+(hold crap)
3)call insurance and claim water damage, Pay deductable of 99 bucks and get a new phone.

Odds are verizon would not be able to tell. Based on my inspection and higher then average knowledge of electronics and circuitry I think it would fly, but based on the small deductable and knowing there is no chance for me to be screwed i think i'll just file the insurance claim and be done with it. Im to old to be sitting around worrying about this kinda stuff and pulling scams. big red is one big rip off so i would not feel bad in the least but its just not worth the hassle IMO. thanks to all for your comments.

Hope everything works out I'm against fraud and if the water tabs are not triggered I don't see a problem with this.. Hope everything works out

Chukee

Reaction score
As long as the water damage markers are ok i believe you are good to go.

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Maybe you should offer to pay the legal costs on this one. Serious? I am in the insurance industry. Do you know why your rates keep going up every year? Yup, a good chunk is because of fraudulent insurance claims.

If it was mine..yup. but its not, so that'd be up to him.
No fraud here though. Legit claim. So insurance would be used as it was intended to be used. This could also be warranty due to the so called nano coating failing to do as states.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

+1 from another with many years experience in insurance and finance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

ultra09hd

Reaction score
So just why do we as consumers pay for insurance if its not to be used then?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Insurance is for sure to be used when paid for, but not abused as most end up doing. This nano coating is a repellent to attempt to make water roll off the device, it does not make the phone waterproof. These phones are not sealed up water tight like other waterproof products, so if a large amount of water is introduced it can find it's way into the circuitry.

View attachment 49736

This example is on P2i's website, showing indeed the material is designed to make whatever it is applied to water REPELLENT. Bottom line even if the insurance would have covered water damage, the warranty was voided when the back was pulled off the device. Again if the insurance company is made aware of all the factors in the situation and they still want to cover it then great, if not take the loss.