Water Damaged GS5

CarmeIo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
Hello Guys! So i got a water damaged Galaxy S5 with apparently no power (that is what the listing said). Now the water damage indicators on the battery is still white and the indicator on the phone is still white as well. Now when i try and turn it on i get nothing, but when i plugged it into the charger i get a flashing green light, I dont know what the means, can someone tell me what that means. Also do you think there is any way to fix this phone?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Water damage doesn't always make it to the indicators. Also, batteries can be replaced so that's a terrible way of determining whether it's been wet or not. There is also another sensor deeper inside and is generally only visible with partial disassembly.

Fixing the phone is very hit or miss. You may get lucky and find the damage to be very minor on some electrical connections or board traces that have corroded, but when electricity goes different paths than intended inside of electronic devices it has the potential to destroy highly sensitive integrated circuits. If that happens you're pretty much out of luck unless it's on a daughter board that can be easily and inexpensively replaced.

Minor corrosion can be cleaned up and electrical connections can be repaired but it takes a stay hand, usually requires a magnification of some type and a fine too soldering station.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Well put FK! As I mentioned in the other water damaged thread, corrosion happens slowly over time and so it may take months for issues to pop up once the corrosion starts to grow.
Good luck Carmelo & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wait, you water damaged both your Note 3 and your S5?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying thought someone just had a really bad day with their phones.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Being that the S5 is supposed to be waterproof (or resistant)...May be worth contacting Samsung for a warranty replacement.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Being that the S5 is supposed to be waterproof (or resistant)...May be worth contacting Samsung for a warranty replacement.

S5 tap'n

They wont honor it, I read about people who had water damage and contacted Samsung only to get turned away. Maybe you will have better luck though.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
PC, I think he bought them both ("that's what the listing said").

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.