Possible to root .173

polenz

Reaction score
Is it possible to root new ota update if you didn't have the rootkeeper app installed? I also saw an article on Droidlife that has a razr utility tool would this work for a razr?

DROID RAZR Root Tool Released, Helps You Do Whatever You Want With Your RAZR – Droid Life

If I can't root not a huge deal it was just nice to have titanium backup, I didn't do theming or roms, but it would be great if I could have the phone rooted again, I used doomlord's exploit to root previous to the ota. Thanks for the help.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I haven't downloaded the Utility Tool yet, but last I knew the Android version 2.3.6 for the Razr was not rootable.

If you were rooted prior to the update, you could use VooDoo Root Keeper from the market to protect / restore root.

I also think that you can restore back to .748 and then root / protect with VooDoo and then reupdate and restore root.

OP
P

polenz

Reaction score
so this app will work even if I've already done the update and did not have the app installed prior to updating? I was rooted prior to the update and then undid the root to get my update. I still have the su icon but obviously it does nothing.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
so this app will work even if I've already done the update and did not have the app installed prior to updating? I was rooted prior to the update and then undid the root to get my update. I still have the su icon but obviously it does nothing.

Well, you will have to roll back to .748 at least, in order to root, then install VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect root, then update to .173, then restore root with OTA Rootkeeper. There is no known way to root .173 at present.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I was on 748 and used VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper to make a backup of my super user info, then downloaded and installed update, then restored root with VooDoo. Now I am on .173 rooted and removed the additional bloatware this update added.