Possible to force 4G connection?

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
So Im using my phone for wifi but I live RIGHT on the 3g/4g border so my bionic is CONSTANTLY bouncing bewteen the two, very annoying. I know how to shut 4g off but can I cut the 3g off and force the 4g?

wseyller

Reaction score
I tried to find a solution for this a couple months ago. I have never found anything that makes this possible.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

joshmiddle

Reaction score
Im in the same boat would also love to know. Never even thought of that. I get 4g about 200ft from my house. Lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Suuperflie

Reaction score
So Im using my phone for wifi but I live RIGHT on the 3g/4g border so my bionic is CONSTANTLY bouncing bewteen the two, very annoying. I know how to shut 4g off but can I cut the 3g off and force the 4g?

You can't force a 4g connection if you're not getting a consistent 4g connection. Just turn 4g off and use the wifi. If you're on wifi, it doesn't matter whether you're on 3g or 4g. Data from those is turned off if you're connected to wifi anyway.

wseyller

Reaction score
You can't force a 4g connection if you're not getting a consistent 4g connection. Just turn 4g off and use the wifi. If you're on wifi, it doesn't matter whether you're on 3g or 4g. Data from those is turned off if you're connected to wifi anyway.

Problem is that not everyone has the luxury of of wifi. My house is 400 feet away from what the cable company considers close enough to get services. No dsl either. It seems I'm on the edge for everything. I will so though that about three weeks ago the 4g signal has gotten stronger on my bionic and it stays in 4g now most of the time with 1 or two bars. Before I could restart my phone to get 4g for maybe 10 to 20 mins then it would switch back to 3g and never come back which I think was a problem with my first bionic or possible firmware.

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
Problem is that not everyone has the luxury of of wifi. My house is 400 feet away from what the cable company considers close enough to get services. No dsl either. It seems I'm on the edge for everything. I will so though that about three weeks ago the 4g signal has gotten stronger on my bionic and it stays in 4g now most of the time with 1 or two bars. Before I could restart my phone to get 4g for maybe 10 to 20 mins then it would switch back to 3g and never come back which I think was a problem with my first bionic or possible firmware.

If you can get Dish or Direct TV you can have high speed internet, then set up home WIFI and your good to go!

inlinehockey

Reaction score

I have been lurking in here for quite a while but I finally have a reason to post!

You can lock it in 4G only but you will not have voice service.

Open the phone dialer and dial ##program (##7764726) and hit send.

When prompted for the password, enter "000000" (six zeros)

From the Programming Menu, select "06 Test Mode"

Hit "Next" at the bottom 2 times

You will see an option for Network Mode. From that location you can select LTE only.

When you return to the home screen, it may cause your phone to reboot. This is normal.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTINGS! YOU CAN SERIOUSLY MESS UP YOUR PHONE IN THIS MENU!

To change back, follow the instructions again and return the setting to "CDMA, EVDO and LTE"

I have tested this in an LTE area and as soon as I leave the LTE area, my signal disappears and indicates no signal. Hope this helps.

Jalh

Reaction score
I have been lurking in here for quite a while but I finally have a reason to post!

You can lock it in 4G only but you will not have voice service.

Open the phone dialer and dial ##program (##7764726) and hit send.

When prompted for the password, enter "000000" (six zeros)

From the Programming Menu, select "06 Test Mode"

Hit "Next" at the bottom 2 times

You will see an option for Network Mode. From that location you can select LTE only.

When you return to the home screen, it may cause your phone to reboot. This is normal.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTINGS! YOU CAN SERIOUSLY MESS UP YOUR PHONE IN THIS MENU!

To change back, follow the instructions again and return the setting to "CDMA, EVDO and LTE"

I have tested this in an LTE area and as soon as I leave the LTE area, my signal disappears and indicates no signal. Hope this helps.

Worked perfectly fine. thanks !

z96Cobra

Reaction score
You can download "LTE On/Off" and force 4g. It's much quicker than entering the programming menu.

Also, I'm in the same boat as a few others when it comes to home internet. I live out in the sticks and my only options for internet is dial-up, cellular, or satellite. I had WildBlue for a few years then tried cellular with a MiFi. Both were good for browsing & YouTube but no chance for gaming. I recently switched back to satellite via WildBlue/ViaSat & their Exede service. It's 12Mbps down (I usually get closer to 20Mbps) but you only get 10GB per month, for $55. They recently added a new feature, for free... unlimited service between midnight & 5am. I'm a night owl, so this is great for me. Latency is still to high to game, but watching YouTube in HD or Netflix works fine & no buffering once the video begins. It's not ideal, but it's the best thing going for those of us in rural areas with no other options.