Possible installing application from another site to droid x?

rcjames

Reaction score
Hi i'm getting a droid x but does it support application any application for adroid to be used on droid x? I notice some website i browse with my laptop i see some application am i able to extract it into microsd and run it on the phone? Or is it against the verizon policy?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can download any app if its made for android just have to enable install from unknown sources in settings>applications

Reaction score
I don't think you have that option for the droid x. I believe he means free paid apps; "hacked" or "jailbroken" apps some call them. If that is the case, no the chip in the droidx blocks those. You can install them but the phone won't boot after.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think you have that option for the droid x. I believe he means free paid apps; "hacked" or "jailbroken" apps some call them. If that is the case, no the chip in the droidx blocks those. You can install them but the phone won't boot after.

ive never heard of such apps

phones are hacked, not apps. and the chip youre referring to, the eFuse, is for the bootloader, which in no way relates to applications

OP, name a few apps that ur referring to

Reaction score
I really thought you couldn't install free paid apps. Sorry I had no idea. Wish I had known that tho.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I really thought you couldn't install free paid apps. Sorry I had no idea. Wish I had known that tho.

you can but its frowned upon - we got many devs on this forum and similar and it is really only going to help further the app

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score

No i didn't said pirate, i'm talking about free application u can find at website for android to download, many places over the net has website hosting free apt for android wundering if the phone has to be rooted to run other developers application. Get it? Sorry my english is bad.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score

you can but its frowned upon - we got many devs on this forum and similar and it is really only going to help further the app

So if i found a application while surfing on my laptop i cant save it to my computer then tranfer it to sd and run it? It doesn't work like that on droid x?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
As long as you have "uknown sources" checked in settings:applications you can install non-market apps.

Sent from my Droid using interplanetary communications that neither you or I could possibly understand. Cheers.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score
As long as you have "uknown sources" checked in settings:applications you can install non-market apps.

Sent from my Droid using interplanetary communications that neither you or I could possibly understand. Cheers.

Like i found this Space Buster 3D Lite v1.2 ANDROID GAMES DOWNLOAD FOR FREE i downloaded it and it was compress i glanced it in my linux laptop theres a file androidmanifest.xml and another file resource.arsc and a folder res with stuff in it. anyways yea in the phone has to check those settings u said above. I cant wait. dancedroid

By the way, i don't want that game i just wanna examin. LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score

Like i found this Space Buster 3D Lite v1.2 ANDROID GAMES DOWNLOAD FOR FREE i downloaded it and it was compress i glanced it in my linux laptop theres a file androidmanifest.xml and another file resource.arsc and a folder res with stuff in it. anyways yea in the phone has to check those settings u said above. I cant wait. dancedroid

No no you dont want to uncompress that file, those .xml and .arsc files are part of the game i believe. You want a .apk file which is the extension for all android apps. So get a file manager, Like "Astro" and go to where you downloaded it on your sd card, then select it and open with app installer. And yeah make sure to check those settings.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score

No no you dont want to uncompress that file, those .xml and .arsc files are part of the game i believe. You want a .apk file which is the extension for all android apps. So get a file manager, Like "Astro" and go to where you downloaded it on your sd card, then select it and open with app installer. And yeah make sure to check those settings.

Well I won't have mine until next week so i can fool around with. I would probably install remote access application first so i can cannect to my linux servers and window 7 systems. And do some work if i'm on the road or apointment. Or something. Sweet dancedroid