Possible fix for loss of 4g problem

510As

Reaction score
Hello.. long time lurker, first time poster...

Ever since the 905 update I have experienced constant drop of 4g where it will turn white over and over. After a lot of searching here andother forums as well, I see I'm not the only one. I've tried everything except rooting/installing the ICS leak. Finally I stumbled on to something that may be a simple fix...

So I think the problem lies with the facebook app. I heard someone mention it somewhere and it seems to have worked. I uninstalled the facebook app then restarted my phone. Since then I've had no problems at all. Its been 3 days with no drop :) Even doing a full factory reset only fixed it for about 24hrs. I'm not sure why this has worked.. but it beats the heck out of 4g dropping every few minutes, or switching to only 3g.

I hope this helps anyone having the same problem I was :)

deduct

Reaction score
I uninstalled Facebook many moons ago. I never had many data drop issues personally, But, I do know that it helped my battery life to stop using it. Also, i have been on 232 for so long, i have almost forgotten what a data drop feels like.

Last edited:

09HDMSCL

Reaction score
I actually called verizon today because it is getting really annoying. I had read that the 4g card could be bad on other threads. Well I was told that this is an ongoing issue with the Bionic. They offered me a 1 for 1 swap for a Droid Razr. I would have done this but i have the hd dock and the car dock for the bionic and they would just become useless. The tech told me that i could wait for the ICS update, which would be before the end of the year, and that may fix the issue. He said if it does not fix the 4g i could swap the phone then. So if you want to swap for a razr give them a call and see if they offer the same deal.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
09HDMSCL said:
I actually called verizon today because it is getting really annoying. I had read that the 4g card could be bad on other threads. Well I was told that this is an ongoing issue with the Bionic. They offered me a 1 for 1 swap for a Droid Razr. I would have done this but i have the hd dock and the car dock for the bionic and they would just become useless. The tech told me that i could wait for the ICS update, which would be before the end of the year, and that may fix the issue. He said if it does not fix the 4g i could swap the phone then. So if you want to swap for a razr give them a call and see if they offer the same deal.

I have never had a data drop...

OP

510As

Reaction score
I actually called verizon today because it is getting really annoying. I had read that the 4g card could be bad on other threads. Well I was told that this is an ongoing issue with the Bionic. They offered me a 1 for 1 swap for a Droid Razr. I would have done this but i have the hd dock and the car dock for the bionic and they would just become useless. The tech told me that i could wait for the ICS update, which would be before the end of the year, and that may fix the issue. He said if it does not fix the 4g i could swap the phone then. So if you want to swap for a razr give them a call an see if they offer the same deal.

Try uninstalling/deleting th facebook app and see if that helps. I haven't had problems since I removed it

josh1980

Reaction score
I find it interesting that the Facebook app would be even indirectly responsible. It could be related to how often it tries to retrieve data. Perhaps other programs that retrieve data often are indirectly responsible. I know I haven't had any problems with data drops, but I also don't use any apps that constantly update.

09HDMSCL

Reaction score
i deleted the FB app and it seems to stay connected longer. Guess i will try this for a bit. I have never liked the FB app anyways, it was always messing up and freezing.

droidvj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
I froze Facebook since I have had constant data problems since the 905 update. No problems since the freeze. This definitely helped. Must be related to the way FB accesses the web. Thanks for the tip.

bhp117

Reaction score
Facebook and twitter vzw apps is always the 1st apps i delete probably thats why i get solid data:p

OP

510As

Reaction score
I froze Facebook since I have had constant data problems since the 905 update. No problems since the freeze. This definitely helped. Must be related to the way FB accesses the web. Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome, and I'm glad I could help!

I've now spent almost a week or so without it on the phone and it has definitely made a difference. I don't know a lot of the technical "mumbo-jumbo", but it seems that it had a direct effect on my bionic's 4G connectivity. One thing that made me wonder specifically about the FB app: that there were a number of times where 4G was working fine (using the web browser), then I'd hit the home button and open up the FB app and BAM 4G turns to white and no connection.

In addition to deleting the app, I also made sure to go in to the 'Settings->Accounts', and delete facebook from there as well. Who knows, maybe the push notifications are disrupting it somehow? I don't know. :blink:

All I know is that it's WAY better now than it was before. From what I hear ICS fixes all this, so when that comes out this will be all moot, but until then...