Portrait vs landscape pics sending to Facebook

ralgrl73

Reaction score
Hi all,
I apologize if this has already been hashed out in the forums... I must have missed it.

I'm new to the Droid X. A couple of days ago I switched from the BB Storm2. I'm very happy, but one big difference I noticed right away: pics I take with the Droid X in portrait orientation upload to FB rotated by 90 degrees. Why? The Storm2 didn't do that. Obviously it's no good for pics to upload to FB that way. I'm sure we're holding the phone the right way (buttons on the bottom, camera/light at the top).

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to fix it? Surely FB and Android wouldn't want this to happen.

Thanks!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Before you load it to facebook edit it in any way, even cropping it in full will work. This reinforces the portrait and it will upload properly.

tappin and a talkin

OP
R

ralgrl73

Reaction score
Before you load it to facebook edit it in any way, even cropping it in full will work. This reinforces the portrait and it will upload properly.

tappin and a talkin

Hey,
thanks for the tip! I just tried that twice and unfortunately that still didn't solve the issue.

boy, this is annoying.

I should be able to take a pic in portrait mode with the phone, press the "share" button immediately after the pic has been taken and choose to send to Facebook and have it appear "upright" and correct. I didn't have problems with this on my Storm2 (previous phone). This is a big bummer.

Kamau

Reaction score
I was attempting to send my first pics to my facebook as well today, and had the same issue. I'll be waiting to see an answer myself.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you pic up any kind of photo editing app like picsay or phooshop mobile or vignette and crop it in full in portrait it should fix it. Its not pretty but it should work.

tappin and a talkin

kwest12

Reaction score
If you pic up any kind of photo editing app like picsay or phooshop mobile or vignette and crop it in full in portrait it should fix it. Its not pretty but it should work.

tappin and a talkin

I hate to say it but stupid $h1t like this really begins to build up after a while and can end up ruining what should be an awesome experience. I don't know who to point the finger at but based on my findings, both app developers and the android os developers seem to be at fault.

Android should be friendly and in this instance it's anything but: take a picture with the stock camera app in portrait orientation and try to send it anywhere (facebook, twitter email, mms, etc) and guess what, it's suddenly in landscape orientation despite what the gallery showed you. Clearly an android issue, right?

Buy Vignette and repeat the steps above. What happens? Problem is corrected!! "Omg, yay", right? Wrong. Vignette is the ONLY camera app I've found that corrects this issue. Vignette isn't fast pretty or very appealing in general compared to something like camera 360. WHY ON EARTH CAN'T ANY OTHER DEVELOPERS FIGURE OUT WHAT VIGNETTE HAS?

I know, I know, if I want to ***** about it I should make it myself. Well guess what, I'm no developer and this is really an pretty major flaw for an OS and its app developers. Isn't android supposed to help you integrate your life on the go with your social networks and other ways of digital communication. Hell, my old dumb phone could take a portrait picture and send it via mms without any extra software... What the hell android/app devs?

OP
R

ralgrl73

Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

I hate to say it but stupid $h1t like this really begins to build up after a while and can end up ruining what should be an awesome experience. I don't know who to point the finger at but based on my findings, both app developers and the android os developers seem to be at fault.

Android should be friendly and in this instance it's anything but: take a picture with the stock camera app in portrait orientation and try to send it anywhere (facebook, twitter email, mms, etc) and guess what, it's suddenly in landscape orientation despite what the gallery showed you. Clearly an android issue, right?

Buy Vignette and repeat the steps above. What happens? Problem is corrected!! "Omg, yay", right? Wrong. Vignette is the ONLY camera app I've found that corrects this issue. Vignette isn't fast pretty or very appealing in general compared to something like camera 360. WHY ON EARTH CAN'T ANY OTHER DEVELOPERS FIGURE OUT WHAT VIGNETTE HAS?

I know, I know, if I want to ***** about it I should make it myself. Well guess what, I'm no developer and this is really an pretty major flaw for an OS and its app developers. Isn't android supposed to help you integrate your life on the go with your social networks and other ways of digital communication. Hell, my old dumb phone could take a portrait picture and send it via mms without any extra software... What the hell android/app devs?

VERY well said!!! :)

I'd like to add one more gripe to Android...
Why isn't there a sound setting that is phone-only? It is, after all, a phone. And sometimes I don't want to hear a peep out of the phone unless it's a phone call. I only have four options: normal (all sounds), normal + vibrations, vibrate only, and silent. Why can't there be a phone-only setting?

Can someone make an app for that? :)