please help! new to droids and need assistance

naterosa

Reaction score
Hey Driod Experts,

I just bought a driod x from my friend. I have not activated it yet, but i wanted to change the ROM on it. It has the Liberty 1.0 on it, which i do not like... I want to download the gingerbread ROM instead. How would i go about doing so? I thank you all in advance.

Reaction score
I personally don't own a droid rooted and rom'd a couple. Since you want to change your rom from what I have read you have to flash a more updated rom but not surpassing the one u actually want then flash the one you really want. Basically if liberty 1.0 is froyo or 2.2 then you have you move up is os versions first. So just flash liberty from start (witch you have) to finish them move to something like cyanogenmod or miui. Cyanogen is in a sense pure android minus the custom kernal. Miui is the android version of iOS its very cool something highly recommend if you want to change the entire function of your device... ps sorry for the lack of proper punctuation or spelling or spacing my droids keyboard is lacking buttons and its hard to type with no onscreen keyboard: Edit, I don't own a droid x but do own an orginal droid

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
OP
N

naterosa

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for your responses i think both methods help alot but im still a little confused on how to do any of this lol, forgive me I am brand new to smart phones, is there an way i can just get back to the original factory droid for now so that when i activate the phone verizon will have the gingerbread upgrade available? or is this unnecessary? also, whats the point of liberty 1.0 anyways i dont know why my friend installed it.. it doesnt have any games or anything on it o_O lol thanks alot for your knowledge i truly appreciate it

Reaction score
Well to answer why liberty, hm well liberty rom is idk an attempt to remove the moto blur on your x. Also with it being rooted you can over/underclock it to speed it up or save battery. To answer how to factory restore it. Google (sorry I don't have the proper links available) droid x SBF and rsd lite. And look up how to put your phone into a bootloader mode. Follow the instructions and there you go. To simpify things just google how to unroot droid x and return to stock froyo.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

derek33

Reaction score
hey i had a droid x never rooted the darn thing but here is a link with step by step to unroot the droid x and all the downloads you may have let me know if this works or not for you.

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for your responses i think both methods help alot but im still a little confused on how to do any of this lol, forgive me I am brand new to smart phones, is there an way i can just get back to the original factory droid for now so that when i activate the phone verizon will have the gingerbread upgrade available? or is this unnecessary? also, whats the point of liberty 1.0 anyways i dont know why my friend installed it.. it doesnt have any games or anything on it o_O lol thanks alot for your knowledge i truly appreciate it

I would strongly recommend going through the step-by-step guide in the link I posted above. You'll learn quite a bit in the process. It takes you through how to SBF your phone (that's resetting it to factory with the stock ROM) then rooting it, then bootstrapping it, installing the rooted Gingerbread ROM (the OTA update is not rootable) and installing a custom ROM on top of that. The Liberty ROM saves battery life while allowing you to customize your phone in ways that are not possible with the stock ROM. Give it a shot. You'll probably like it.

Oh, if you're rooted, you can also get rid of the crapware VZW puts on your phone. If you don't like the Blockbuster or Madden NFL apps on your unrooted phone, tough. If you're rooted, you can get rid of them.

Good luck!

OP
N

naterosa

Reaction score
wow you guys are great thanks a lot! =) dancedroid

DaWolf

Reaction score
Why would one want to "root" a Droid? and what Is bootstrapping ?~~~~~~~~~~~~

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Why would one want to "root" a Droid? and what Is bootstrapping ?~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you root you can disable all of the crap bloatware that you never use and that runs for no reason. There are other interesting things you can do like run a script that will make your phone fast while saving battery power. It just opens a lot of doors to improve your phone.

Bootstrapping refers to the process of preparing the phone for a whole new "ROM" (the misnomer used for a custom operating system).