Please help me

Grassi

Reaction score
Ok, first off, I am a complete noob to Droid phones, I have a Droid 2 Global, I really want to learn how to root my phone SAFELY, and I know it has been posted on here before but I need it to be explained differently, to somebody who has no clue what anything is. I also want to know how to use my new rooted Droid, IE how to conserve the battery better, and some other benefits to having the Droid rooted, again I am clueless, but if somebody could please help explain it to me I can figure it out. Thank you so much Droid Forums

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

r314bd

Reaction score
I know it has been posted on here before but I need it to be explained differently, to somebody who has no clue what anything is.
Did you read the sticky? Why don't you tell us where specifically you get confused.

OP
G

Grassi

Reaction score
Also what are some bad thing about rooting? Does it still allow you to update?

trook

Reaction score
no, you can not recieve ota (over the air) updates, but rest assured your never going to be left out of an update, when a new update is released, if it is worth anything or makes even the slightest bit of good, someone hacks it and releases it to us root users, there are some cons to rooting, if you jack your phone up to where you cant sbf (which is very difficult to do) your warranty is void. Thats the biggest con obviously, in my opinion the pros outweigh the cons, there are alot of apps just for root users, better battery life if you run a rom or get rid of the bloatware, I enjoy just playing with it and customizing which you cant do a whole lot of stock.
Just do some reading in this forum (particularly the hacking/rom install class), weigh the pros and cons with what you want your phone to do, dont rush, and make a nandroid backup if you root and be sure to backup your contacts and you will be ok. Have fun with it, you can change it as many times as you want and you can always go back to stock if you like.

silver6054

Reaction score
no, you can not recieve ota (over the air) updates, but rest assured your never going to be left out of an update, when a new update is released, if it is worth anything or makes even the slightest bit of good, someone hacks it and releases it to us root users, there are some cons to rooting, if you jack your phone up to where you cant sbf (which is very difficult to do) your warranty is void. Thats the biggest con obviously, in my opinion the pros outweigh the cons, there are alot of apps just for root users, better battery life if you run a rom or get rid of the bloatware, I enjoy just playing with it and customizing which you cant do a whole lot of stock.
Just do some reading in this forum (particularly the hacking/rom install class), weigh the pros and cons with what you want your phone to do, dont rush, and make a nandroid backup if you root and be sure to backup your contacts and you will be ok. Have fun with it, you can change it as many times as you want and you can always go back to stock if you like.
It also depends what you do with root. If you just freeze bloatware and use some root-only apps, you can still get OTA updates. You just need to remember to unfreeze the bloatware before applying it. I guess for safety use should also unroot as well (using say Z4root) although I am not sure that is necessary.

OP
G

Grassi

Reaction score
Alright cool, I think I wanna go through with rooting, but does the Z4root program do everything? Or is there other stuff I have to do after? And can someone give me a good link to download the SBF file along with instructions on how to use it?

Reaction score
Alright cool, I think I wanna go through with rooting, but does the Z4root program do everything? Or is there other stuff I have to do after? And can someone give me a good link to download the SBF file along with instructions on how to use it?

BOTH of those questions are answered in the first link I posted. Did you even read it?

OP
G

Grassi

Reaction score
Oh ok, I just did, sorry I have a short attention span

OP
G

Grassi

Reaction score
I am sorry, but which one do I do first? Am I supposed to set up the SBF file first then use z4root?

silver6054

Reaction score
I am sorry, but which one do I do first? Am I supposed to set up the SBF file first then use z4root?

The SBF file is to recover when you have really messed up your phone. If your phone is OK, you don't need to apply it. (But of course you may want to set up RSDlite etc on your PC so that you ready if something does go wrong later).

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you want... Or that you do... The SBF is a file for taking your phone back to factory new condition. You use it if you mess the phone up. Z4Root is the program that lets you root your phone. So you would run Z4Root (Use the permament root option, the temporary root goes away when you reboot the phone), when it finishes (the phone will reboot), you are rooted. The SBF is for if you do something to make your phone not function properly while you're messing around with it, you can return your phone to an out of the box state.

OP
G

Grassi

Reaction score
Ok see that's where I was confused, I thought you needed both, lol I told you I was clueless