Please Help me Decide.... TB vs.......

hxdrummerxc

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes Im sorry, this is ANOTHER thunderbolt vs X2 question, but I have my reasons.

In the next couple of weeks I am upgrading my phone from the OG droid.
I can't decide if I want the x2 or the thunderbolt. My brother just bought the x2, and he got a second x2 for free, that hes willing to give to me for only $100.

I have seen plenty of topics about people asking if they should get the Droid x2 or the thunderbolt.... The majority of them, did not have 4g in their area yet.

My predicament is this... I live right outside of Detroit, and we have 4g here.
Is 4g that big of a difference? is it worth it?

Also the locked bootloader of the x2, is a huge blow to me. As I have loaded a bunch of different custom ROMs onto my OG droid, and loved it. Im not sure if I could live with a locked boot. The fact that when Verizon stops the OTA updates for the x2, I won't be able to update to newer software with ROMs like I did with my OG droid, bothers me.

Is the battery life on the Thunderbolt really THAT bad?
To me it doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal, I can get a replacement battery off Amazon for $7. Ill buy two more batteries, charge them every night, problem solved.

Really the only thing that I can see lacking is the battery, the better resolution on the x2, and the x2's dual core.

Do you all think I should get the TB, seeing as im in a prime 4g area, and I love the custom ROMs. Or should I go for the better resolution and the dual core....?

Or should I just hold on to the OG droid, and wait it out for the Vigor.... and just pray that it gets released before winter?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
The screen on the tb is actually nicer in my opinion. 4G is a huge deal...to me.
I had the dx, loved it. Heard bad things about dx2. Have a thunderbolt now. Favorite phone ever.

das2042

Reaction score
Just wait three weeks for the bionic

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

johnd09

Reaction score
Love my thunderbolt, and 4G is worth it if you do any thing data heavy at all, its like 5 times faster than my home connection.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

das2042

Reaction score
Then how about an LG revolution. I heard that thing was sweet

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

bernardino5

Reaction score
I would wait 4 the Bionic just my opinion I have a TBolt and love it but also a fan of Moto my first smartphone was the D1 just wait b patient I would.

TheRockSays

Reaction score
Love my thunderbolt, and 4G is worth it if you do any thing data heavy at all, its like 5 times faster than my home connection.

Agreed

kookk

Reaction score
I've owned an x2 and ditched it for the TB.

Seriously the x2 is awful. Everything but battery life is better about the TB.

Even the the TB battery life isn't that bad, especially if you root. On cm7 right now, I get better life on my TB than I did with my x2.

Yes 4g is worth it, TB has a much better dev community, it feels better in hand, the camera looks better, better screen, its just better.

Trust me, thunderbolt, thunderbolt, thunderbolt. I was upset with my x2 every day I had it. I have loved my TB every day I have had it. Thunderbolt.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using DroidForums

MrKleen

Reaction score
This is simple. If you are a rom flasher you will want the Thunderbolt over the X2.... its as simple as that. Don't feel obligated to take your brothers phone because you will regret it.

The Bionic will be locked down as well so that's not an option.

If you can wait a bit longer you could get the Vigor or Samsung GSII.

Don't give in to your brothers pressure.

vince5623

Reaction score
Once you use 4g you'll never be able to go back. Root the TB and put liquid gingersense 1.4 on it to get great battery/stability/features. I can't say much about stock cause mine was unrooted for all of 30 minutes. I get 12 hours with this rom on 4g with every app syncing and running

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
My opinion on which is better is hands down the thunderbolt. 4G is THAT much faster. On average I get about 10-15mbps on download speeds andan average of 5mbps of upload speeds and I've even gotten up to 25mbps on DL and 9mbps of UL on some occassions. Average speed of 3g is usually in the .70's on DL speeds according to a Verizon rep and is about exactly what I got testing on my brothers iPhone 4 and friends DX1. Battery is pretty bad but if you get a car charger its not that big a deal.

But if your brother is offering a dx2 why not just get that and have fun with that in the mean time and save your upgrade. The thunderbolt is amazing and all but why not wait to see what the bionic has to offer or even the vigor if you can wait it up a bit longer?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums

vince5623

Reaction score
My opinion on which is better is hands down the thunderbolt. 4G is THAT much faster. On average I get about 10-15mbps on download speeds andan average of 5mbps of upload speeds and I've even gotten up to 25mbps on DL and 9mbps of UL on some occassions. Average speed of 3g is usually in the .70's on DL speeds according to a Verizon rep and is about exactly what I got testing on my brothers iPhone 4 and friends DX1. Battery is pretty bad but if you get a car charger its not that big a deal.

But if your brother is offering a dx2 why not just get that and have fun with that in the mean time and save your upgrade. The thunderbolt is amazing and all but why not wait to see what the bionic has to offer or even the vigor if you can wait it up a bit longer?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums

Solution:
Take x2 sell on eBay get used TB and keep upgrade. You win

OP
H

hxdrummerxc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone :)
The thunderbolt seems like the better choice for me.

@ lxJGTxl
We are on a family share plan with my parents. Even though im 21y/o and I can get my own plan, I save money still being on a family share plan, so I just pay my parents for my bill. The X2 was only buy one get one free if both phones got a new 2 yr activation. So we put the free one on my dads line for his two year upgrade because my upgrade isn't due for another week. So basically, if I take the free X2, then my dad is gonna use my upgrade to get himself a new phone. If I don't take the X2, then my dad is gonna take the x2. So unfortunately if I take the X2, I lose my upgrade.

You all seriously made me think that im gonna go for the thunderbolt. I even played with both in the store, and I really like the Sense UI better than the Blur.

So it really comes down to....
Using my upgrade for the thunderbolt, or saving it for the vigor, which nobody really knows when its gonna come out yet....