Play Books Updated With New Night Light Feature

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I love to read as much as the next guy. It's hard to find time to read, and the best time for me to read always ends up being once I hit the hay before I go to sleep. My wife always ends up going to sleep before me which means lights are off. This is no big deal since most of my books are digital anyhow. The only issue is that staring at a bright screen in the complete dark while focusing on reading text can be quite the strain on the eyes.

Google has just updated the Play Books app to help reduce strain on the eyes at night time with a new feature called "Night Light". Night Light filters out the blue light giving off an amber hue instead. The feature can adapt with the time of day and according to surrounding sun light. Once the new update is installed you will be prompted to try it out. If you don't like it you can just turn it off in the settings.

via Play Store

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use an app called Twilight on my tablet for night reading that does basically the same thing, but runs all the time and makes the screen have a red tint for everything. I'm definitely looking forward to this, since reading is the thing I do most at night with that tablet. It'd be nice to have full color elsewhere if I want to watch a video or something without having to pause Twilight.

Also, on my larger Remix tablet, Twilight doesn't seem to work. The dev says it needs the permission to draw over other apps, which I get, but it's still based on Lollipop, so it doesn't have those individual permissions. This would fix that problem as well.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
When has this been updated? My screen was bright white last night. What screen is it under?

6b10600dbf52ebe833dab88f3c869f0d.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When has this been updated? My screen was bright white last night.
The update just started rolling out. You have to select it in the settings as well, from what I've read.

APK Mirror has this version available for download, but I couldn't get it to download to my tablet last night, so I just kept using Twilight and will wait for the official update to hit it.