Plasti Dipped Battery Door

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
my only concern of spraying the sides is if something went wrong with phone VZW may not replace it due to the mod done to it.. thinking about seriously taping the tbolt off and plasti dip it.. maybe red /black combo..
I just plasti-dipped my emblems on my car, it's extremely easy to take off.

I actually wouldn't recommend spraying the phone itself. This stuff starts off as a liquid and if it gets into the little nooks/crannies then you're in trouble. This stuff dries to rubber and you may even ruin something when removing it.

magnus

Reaction score
Wait, it comes off easy?..then don't it wear away easy?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wait, it comes off easy?..then don't it wear away easy?

Not sure about that. This type of fix is left for things that usually go untouched. Having it slip in and out your pocket I would think the edges would start to peel away but I didn't plasti dip my battery cover. Might want to ask OP how his is holding up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

ntrddragn

Reaction score
LOL...i was thinking about do this! I used plasti dip on my nissan armada. this stuff is great. its easy to take off since its a small phone surface. for larger area like a hood of a car you will need like 7+ layer to be able to 'easily" take off. here what it looks like on my car for those that are wondering if it will hold up. been 2 months now no issue of peeling. i think for the phone you might want to do more coats since it will be going in and out of the pockets frequently and you might accidentally scratch it with your nails.
before
View attachment 45658
after
View attachment 45659

OP
ultrab6

ultrab6

Reaction score
2 Week Update

So after 2 weeks, my battery door has held up pretty good. No peeling. I will say this tho, my friend tried to do his and he had to do his over a couple of times cause he didnt spray the edges evenly. Make sure to get the edges completely sprayed and you should have no problems.

zathus

Reaction score
I've been pondering this for a week or so. Experimenting on a old phone I had, it felt like the same type of plastic. My battery door has the carbon fiber on it from 3M but I wanted to go a step further and plastic dip the whole phone. Things I've been able to find out. it holds pretty good, but if need be you can remove it without leaving a mark. My issue is, it seems like you could scratch it fairly easily. So what I tried was, 2 layers of plastic tip and a coat of clear coat enamel. Still scratches fairly easily. Also, once the clear coat is on it's a pain in the b*** to get off. So I pretty much abandoned doing this. But your battery door looks great nice mod

kanostic

Reaction score
You inspired me and I ended up doing it to my spare battery cover.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Think I'll get this done this weekend just to try it.